Doctor insights on:
Fungal spores: Ganoderma is a fungus with spores that contain Triterpenoids. These chemicals showed significantly anti-HIV-1 protease and anti-tumor activities. In traditional Chinese medicine, ganoderma extracts have been used for a variety of diseases. Traditional western medicine is studying it now. Stay tuned! ...Read more
Mold growth: Molds are ubiquidous in most areas. Moist areas such as basements without good ventilation are common areas of excessive mold growth. Dehumidifiers are often fighting an uphill battle unless ventilation is also increased. A basement exhaust fan to increase air movement is often the best way to limit mold growth in the home. ...Read more
If there is was a flood in my room a week ago, how long till i could get sick from being in the house with those spores?
Mold: What makes you think you will be getting sick? Did they find black or white mold in the walls or wall boards? Mold is endemic and can be found everywhere so if you have not had problems before there is no reason to believe you will get sick. You can always have an allergist test you to mold to see if you are allergic. ...Read more
Cryptosporidiosis: What you need to be concerned about is cyptosporidiosis, not cryptococcus. Both are present in the soil. Cryptococcus affects immunosuppresed individuals. Cryptosporidiosis can affect healthy people but, with infrequent exceptions, it is a mild flu like illness. Unless you have underlying illness, there is no need to be scared. ...Read more
Mixing of genes: Well to get technical parthenogenesis happens by asexual reproduction in certain species so the embryo will develop without fertilization. Spores are produced by sexual reproduction having genes contributed by both male and female of the species. ...Read more
A friend says she gets sick from gluten that's in the air ( in a store after baking), gluten spores she said. Is this true?
There's dark green growth along my window casing I need to clean it but I'm scared of spreading mould spores and getting sick, what do i do?
It probably is: It probably is mold. It is wise to wear a mask while cleaning. Many mold cleaning solutions are available and most contain some bleach--so ventilate your workspace well. ...Read more
Big answer: To big a question to fully answer here, but molds can cause infections and allergy problems, particularly asthma. Molds can also be respiratory irritants via non-allergic mechanisms, too. There is much more hype and litigation about molds than there is real science or disease, imho. ...Read more
Don't generalize...: Food-borne botulism in adults develops after ingestion of pre-formed toxin in improperly preserved canned goods, native american foods (whale or seal), ; such foods as baked potatoes, cheese sauce, beef stew, garlic cooking oil. Infants develop botulism when their GI tracts are colonized by live c. Botulinum bacteria or they intake small amt of toxin from possible sources like dust, soil, honey. ...Read more
BOTULISM: Moist heat at 120 degrees for 30 mins. Will kill the spores. ...Read more
If honey contains botulism spores, would the spores stay in my body forever, or are they eventually excreted?
No: In an adult, you will not have any problem with it. In fact, the spores will likely be gone in a day or two. ...Read more
If garlic bulbs often have on them the spores that become botulism then why don't those spores lead to illness when eating raw garlic? Eating raw ok?
Quantity: It is the quantity which makes one sick. And even if garlic bulbs contain the toxin, you will likely chase away all of your friends and family members from eating pounds of them before you get ill. Certainly, most people can tolerate 200 units of botulinum from Botox injections without any problem. Honey contains small amount of the toxin also and thus not recommended for young infants. ...Read more
Difficult: That is an extremely difficult question to answer. Clostridia are anaerobic, spore-forming rods (bacilli). C. Difficile is the most serious cause of antibiotic-associated diarrhea (aad) and can lead to pseudomembranous colitis, a severe inflammation of the colon, often resulting from eradication of the normal gut flora by antibiotics. ...Read more
No: Your house needs to be cleaned, and the mold manually removed. ...Read more
Spray shoes: With lysol let dry over night. Wear socks with sneaks. ...Read more
See an allergist: Not sure what you mean by deathly allergic to mold spores since they are ubiquitous anywhere on earth and mostly present in all seasons. They are in the air. It's just how many of them are there at certain time. If you have allergy symptoms and wonder if it's due to mold, an allergist could help you make the diagnosis. We allergist are specialized in diagnosing and treating those conditions. ...Read more
Yes, but: Unless you have a specific and rare allergy to that mold there is no risk. Mold is an ubiquitous organism with tens of thousands of strains that you are exposed to every day of your life in one form or another.It is outside in the air, on trees, in the soil.The stuff that would grow on bread is not particularly toxic. ...Read more
Coughing up what looks like mold spores. All day everyday for 3 years. Very thick and sticky and shiny?
See a doctor: Please see a doctor to evaluate what this is. ...Read more
My neighbor has large patches of mold in their yard by my driveway. I got out my car and noticed. With the wind blowing could i breath in mold spores?
No risk, no worries: I think you mean moss, not mold -- related but different. Lawn moss or mold is no problem in humans. Anyway, even though you're seeing this now, we all inhale thousands or millions of mold and other fungus spores every day, whether or not we see mold or other fungi in a lawn. It's harmless. If you are not known to have asthma or other allergies made worse by mold, this is nothing to worry about. ...Read more
What is the difference between a person that can feel mold spores on skin. Taste them and irritating them to a person that feels nothing ?geneo type?
Not understanding: I am not understanding your question. This does not make sense. ...Read more
Can i get botulism from raw garlic, no oil, just a clove or two diced and chewed daily. Spores on it a problem? Wash it first? Does toxin grow on it?
Botulism: As long as you dont store the garlic in oilthere should be no problem. ...Read more
Fungus?: I think what you mean is foot fungus. This is easily treated with over the counter creams like clotrimazole or miconazole. Treat both feet including the ankles even if these areas are not affected. To reduce the chance of reinfection keep feet dry since the fungus requires a damp environment to thrive. Dilute bleach is quite effective at disinfecting surfaces. Toenail fungus is more complex. ...Read more