enlarged heterogeneous thyroid

Answers

2 Answers
1 Doctor agrees
10011998x1386629313

What is a enlarged heterogeneous thyroid?

GOITER

Antithyroid_medication
Enlarged thyroid = goiter. Heterogeneity just implies that the features are not uniform. One can see that in inflammatory conditions like Hashimoto's thyroiditis, multinodular goiter or even in Graves' disease. It is just just a descriptive terminology.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

1 Answers
Dr. John Yim answered:

What does diffusely enlarged heterogeneous thyroid gland mean?

Graves/Thyroiditis

Antibody
Most commonly this is due to Graves disease or thyroiditis. In both of these cases your immune system attacks your thyroid and tries to kill it, because it thinks it is foreign, like a virus. However in Graves disease the antibodies that attack the thyroid actually stimulate receptors that make it grow and produce too much thyroid hormone. In thyroiditis the immune cells infiltrate the thyroid.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

2 Answers

How are an enlarged heterogeneous thyroid & enlarged spleen related? I have both.

Rarely related

Thyroid
if so, suggests suggest lymphoid infiltration of thyroid see MD!!
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

2 Answers
Dr. David Sneid answered:

Have enlarged heterogeneous thyroid,TSH was normal.SUFFERING w/hypothyroid symptoms.Endocrinologist said "impossible" to be thyroid.Need 2nd opinion?

Prob normal

Inflammation_of_the_thyroid
Remember, diseases cause symptoms, but having a variety of symptoms doesn't necessarily mean you have that disease. If your testing was normal, then you need to look for another cause to your problems. However, make sure your lab was not only "normal", but appropriate for your age group, and those numbers may be slight different. Consider endocrinologist if desired.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

1 Answers
Dr. Yash K. Khanna answered:

I have a normal tsh and heterogeneous echotexture. Enlarged thyroid gland which I was told not to worry nothings wrong with my thyroid. Any advice?

Goiter

Inflammation_of_the_thyroid
Hterogenous thyroid can be due to simple goiter and may be associated with hyperthyriodism,hypothyroidism,thyroid nodule,thyroditis and thyroid cancer If you were told not to worry by your endocrinologist means they have ruled out treatable conditions
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

2 Answers
1 Doctor agrees
10014299x1386629211
1 Answers
1 Doctor agrees
11201777x1386633069
Dr. David Sneid answered:

Will a surgeon remove thyroid nodules 3.0cm heterogeneous solid ifwith diffussly enlarged thyroid if fna comes back ok. I have hashimoto thyroiditis?

If the FNA

Fine_needle_aspiration
is definitively "negative" not just inconclusive, many endocrinologists would just observe and follow-up at a later date w/repeat lab, exam and ultrasound. THere are other factors as well, and best discussed with your endocrinologist.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

1 Answers
3 Doctor agrees
10005184x1386627418 11872872x1386635036 11202683x1386632249
Dr. Joseph Accurso answered:

Have heterogeneous hypoechoic nodule in upper left neck w/enlarged lymph nodes & heterogeneous hypoechoic nod left thyroid. 2x cancer surv. Concerned?

Complete the workup

Nodule
Please follow your doctor's advice and complete the workup. The imaging findings described are concerning, and biopsy will probably be necessary to diagnose the problem. Thyroid nodules are common, and may not be related to the enlarged lymph nodes. It may also need to be biopsied.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

2 Answers
3 Doctor agrees
10005209x1386627424 10011731x1386628429 10054628x1386629459

Is a heterogeneous thyroid nodule cancerous?

Possibly

Thyroid
Each thyroid nodule has an approx. 5% chance of malignancy, thus a heterogenous could be cancerous. Looking at it the other way, a heterogenous nodule has a 95% chance of NOT being cancerous.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

1 Answers

What does heterogeneous echotexture of thyroid mean?

Thyroiditis?

Open-uri20131029-17971-1kbmxih
This is the description of the appearance of the thyroid on ultrasound and is most often seen in thyroiditis or inflammation of the thyroid. The exact cause requires that your doctor compare this to your history, exam and lab work.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Sign up to see more