Doctor insights on:
Effects Of Sickle Cell Trait
This is a genetic disorder in which hemoglobin is abnormally made., more common in people of african descent. This abnormality causes red blood cells to become stiff and fall apart. This can cause very specific symptoms: pain, pneumonias, strokes, spleen problems, and many other problems. Some have mild disease, some ...Read more
If me and boyfriend both have sickle cell trait, how will we prevent our children from having full sickle cell anemia?
Nothing: Unfortunately, there would be 25% chance for your child to have sickle cell disease and 50% chance for sickle cell trait . With our technology now, nothing can alter the risk. Sorry to say , the only thing for somebody with sickle cell trait to completely prevent any possibility of having a biological child with sickle cell disease is by having a child with somebody with normal hb. ...Read more
Can a father with normal blood and a mother with sickle cell trait have a child with sickle cell anemia?
If both my girlfriend and I have sickle cell trait, what will it mean for us? What are the chances of having a healthy kid? We're both 22
Provided both are Ss: Which means you are heterozygous for the hgbs mutation (one normal beta chain and one sickle cell mutant beta chain), then mendelian genetics define risk for having disease, trait, or normal. You have a 25% chance of having a child with sickle cell, a 25% chance of no disease, and a 50% chance of your child having trait. Disease severity is affected by other intrinsic and extrinsic factors. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
No: Look for another explanationGet a more detailed answer ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Side effects of sickle cell trait
- Long term effects of sickle cell anemia
- Side effects of hydroxyurea in sickle cell anemia
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the effects of sickle cell anemia?
- Symptoms of sickle cell trait in children
- Is blood in urine a symptom of sickle cell trait?
- Pelvic pain and sickle cell disease
- Talk to a hematologist online for free