Doctor insights on:
Effects Of Mold Exposure
Mold is also known as fungus or in some cases yeast. Fungal spores are very small and tend to be found in compost, barns/farms, hay, grass and damp basements. Some fungal spores are more likely to be associated with "dry" v. "wet" environments. When inhaled, mold spores can lead to many disorders including asthma, allergic rhinitis, hypersensitivty pneumonitis, ...Read more
Need Treatment: If you have had mold exposure, and feel any symptoms of that it is important to get treatment immediately. Exposure to mold can lead to fungal infections. This requires anti-fungal medication for effective clearance of the fungus. If left untreated there can be serious complications as well as spread of the infection to other areas of the body, depending on the infectious fungus. ...Read more
Allergy: Fears over "black mold" exposure have made lawyers rich but I do not know a single pathologist who believes there's a real, definable disease from this particular species. However, quite a few people are allergic to spores of molds and bacteria, and these can produce either "hay fever" type problems or a treacherous hypersensitivity pneumonitis. It's best to keep molds under control, but not panic ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Look for "Mildew": Look for areas of water leakage, or poor water drainage, which would promote mold growth. Look for mildew stains and/or a "musty" smell. Clinical symptoms can vary from dizziness, mental "fogginess", upper and lower respiratory symptoms, tiredness, headaches and dizziness. If your suspicions are high you should consider hiring a reputable mold testing specialist and performing remediation. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Mold exposure: The symptoms vary depending on several factors: if the person is allergic to mold or not, the type of mold and the amount of mold exposed to. Symptoms can vary also from respiratory symptoms to more complex symptoms. This is a vague question to answer. ...Read more
Is it possible for mold exposure in the home to cause some members to be mildly ill and others to be severly and chronicly ill?
Absolutely: Positively yes.Get a more detailed answer ›
Debunked?: I believe the concerns about toxic mold have been debunked. We do, however, see cases of severe asthma with fungal sensitivity and fungi can contribute to chronic rhinosinusitis in various ways. If you are not symptomatic, then clean the mold and forget it. If you are having some respiratory or nasal symptoms, you may consult an Allergist for evaluation and testing. ...Read more
Possibly: There are many (hundreds, thousands) types of mold. Many molds excrete substances which can be toxic to various body systems, of which skeletal muscle is one. ...Read more
BELOW: Could be caused by coughing or sneezing but not by just having exposure to mold ...Read more
Varies: This would vary depending on the sensitivity of the person involved with the dose of the exposue being a factor as well. I would expect that removal of all exposure to the black mold as well as providing for elimination of other inciting factors such as dust, dustmites for symptoms to be resolved within 2 to 4 weeks if not sooner. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Mold: Mold exposure depends on the duration of exposure, there is no set level that determines a dangerous or hazardous level but chronic exposure can lead to respiratory problems. ...Read more
What's a more efficient text that I can take for the black mold exposure? Thanks you! I'm really sick and trying to get some answers.
Allergy consult: The toxic effects from "black mold"exposure are often exaggerated. A certain percentage of people exposed to it may develop asthma, hay fever, sinus infections recurrent pneumonia and etc. The best treatment is to move out of the place where the black mold has been found until the problem has been fixed. If problem continues, see an allergist who can help you in pinpointing the cause and Rx. ...Read more
Several disorders: Exposure to molds (fungus) can trigger seasonal or year round allergic rhinitis or nasal allergies as well as asthma. Mold can trigger "Allergic Fungal Sinusitis" where mold growth expands the nasal sinuses and also colonize the lungs of patients with asthma called Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis. Also molds can trigger hypersensitivity pneumonitis--lung inflammation like pneumonia! ...Read more
Not: likely because inhaled spores will be addressed by immune cells in your trachea and lung, while not directly affecting your immune cells in your gut lining. ...Read more
After indoor m mold exposure for a week, how long will it take for me to recover from mold allergy in my case?
Symptoms or sensitiv: Once you have become sensitized allergically, you will like remain so for a long time although the degree of the sensitivity may decline with time. On the other hand, your allergy symptoms should subside within days or at most weeks after cessation of exposure which may not be totally possible since the same mold spores, although in much smaller quantities, are usually found in the air. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Effects of long term exposure to mold
- Mold exposure cause myositis
- Recovery from mold exposure
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can mold exposure cause lupus?
- Can mold exposure cause temporal arteritis?
- Short term exposure to black mold
- Treatment for mold exposure in the eyes
- Mold exposure test