Doctor insights on:
Does Your Heart Stop When You Sneeze
It could: When you say "stop", remember that our hearts "stop" (pumping) between every beat. That said, when you sneeze, you increase vagal tone, mediated by a valsalva maneuver (forced expiration against a partially closed glottis). This causes the heart rate to slow so the time between beats temporarily increases, ie, the heart spends more time "stopped". Pauses >3 seconds would be unusual. ...Read more
I'm in respiratory school and my teacher said if you sneeze while on the P wave, it stops your heart? Is that true?
No: That is definitely not true. Are you sure you heard her right? ...Read more
Still safe : The increase in intrathoracic pressure can cause problems if you have certain risk factors. Reported cases of ruptured rib chest pain, transient hemiparesis from cerebral aneurism, pneumothorax, acute angle glaucoma and even a case report of aortic dissection in a patient with hypertension. As you can see all of this patients have a predisposing condition. Keep sneezing and do not worry. ...Read more
Sneezing: Sneezing can cause a decreased venous return and tachycardia response. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Does your heart stop when you hiccup?
- Does your period stop when you are pregnant?
- Do you sneeze more when your pregnant?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What does it mean when you hear your heart beating in your ear?
- Why does your heart rate rise when you exercise?
- Does your heart beat faster when you have bronchitis?
- Why does your heart rate go up when you exercise?
- Talk to a cardiologist online