Doctor insights on:
Does Thyroid Affect Sleep
It varies: Someone with high thyroid levels might have insomnia, so that they would be able to sleep for a short time, and might be very restless in their sleep. But they may feel that they need less sleep, too. Low thyroid levels can make people want more sleep than usual. Low thyroid levels can also raise the risk for sleep apnea with loud snoring, brief periods of no breathing, and poor sleep quality. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Sleep signal: Melatonin is the hormone that tells the rest of the brain it's time to wind things up. Released by the pineal gland and controlled by the scn (the body clock), melatonin is released as the light begins to dim, telling the body to wind down, and begin preparing for sleep. In animals alterations in melatonin secretion signal hibernation, weight gain, fur changes, etc. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
May get sleep apnea: Obese persons can get obstructive sleep apnea (osa), which may be due extra fat and flesh in the neck and throat areas, making it harder for air to flow through to the lungs. The extra weight in the tummy also pushes up into the bottom of the chest when lying down, making it harder to breathe. High blood sugars can lead to sugar in the urine, meaning one must get up to urinate more often. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Yes, it can: MS often is associated with a variety of sleep disorders, and first you need to assess whether due to medication reaction, co-morbidities, emotional issues, or a specific sleep disorder such as restless legs, or sleep apnea. Would hope your neurologist can assist, as simple measures may suffice. You can succeed. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How does the thyroid affect male fertility?
- How does sleeping pills affect breastfeeding?
- Does an underactive thyroid affect your vision?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How does chlorine affect the thyroid?
- Does being overweight affect the thyroid?
- How does the thyroid affect digestion?
- How does gallbladder affect tsh thyroid hormones?
- Does your thyroid level affect your sleep?