Doctor insights on:
Does Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Sle Cause Deep Vein Thrombosis
Deep venous thrombosis is a clot within the deep veins of the leg. The blood clot causes pain and swelling of the calf. This is a concerning condition, because if the clot breaks loose, it can travel to the lung and become lodged there, blocking blood ...Read more
What other autoimmune diseases, besides antiphospholipid syndrome, cause deep vein thrombosis & increased coagulation of blood?
Can, partially occlusive chronic thrombosis of lef saphenous in the calf and small saphenous vein proximal and mid calf, cause deep vein thrombosis?
Can a tummy tuck cause deep vein thrombosis? I've been told that deep vein thrombosis can happen during or after a tummy tuck. Is this true, and if so, why? How is it prevented?
Virchow's triad: The tummy tuck itself does not cause the clot but the stasis ( lack of movement) associated with being still under general anesthesia or in the post-operative period. To minimize this using foot pumps during surgery with compression stocking as well as encouraging movement after surgery is prescribed. Blood thinners may be used for high risk patients but not typically advised. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Yes if it breaks off: Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a clot that has formed in one of the deep veins, typically in the legs. By itself the majority of cases do not cause death when treated properly. The clot however may become bigger or break loose, traveling to the heart and lungs where it becomes a more serious condition with a higher risk of death. Treatment usually is a blood thinner medication and close follow-up. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Does systemic lupus erythematosus sle cause stillbirth?
- Does systemic lupus erythematosus sle cause pleuritis?
- Does systemic lupus erythematosus sle cause pericarditis?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Does systemic lupus erythematosus sle cause antiphospholipid syndrome?
- Does systemic lupus erythematosus sle cause kidney disease?
- Does systemic lupus erythematosus sle cause kidney damage?
- Does systemic lupus erythematosus sle cause pulmonary embolus?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free