Doctor insights on:
Rubbing Alcohol And Botulism
Not really: Botulism is caused by a toxin produced by a particular germ clostridium botulinum, most commonly found in canned foods that have gone bad (often the can fills with gas and expands). Since the illness is produced by a toxin that has already been made, killing the germ, whether with alcohol, bleaches or whatever does not reduce the toxin already made. Avoiding food from damaged cans is key. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Can you get botulism from a glass beer bottle if the cap was not sealed properly? I dropped the bottle. Can it grow in alcohol?
Time ForDog Botulism: If they could, I suppose they'd be pretty happy bacteria!! I don't think the alcohol concentration in beer would be adequate to kill Clostridia spores or live bacteria but on the other hand, that's not really the right environment for either to grow. So unless you dumped a bunch of dirt in the bottle and buried it for a week or two would much happen. Any doubts? Just give some to the dog. ...Read more
Toxin yes, spore not: Although the botulinum toxin is destroyed by thorough cooking over the course of a few minutes, the spore itself is not killed by the temperatures reached with normal sea-level-pressure boiling, leaving it free to grow and again produce the toxin when conditions are right. ...Read more
Rare, but toxin can: Botulism is caused by a bacteria. For most adults, we can fight the bacteria before it causes a problem. But in babies (especially <1yo), the elderly, and people with weak immune systems, it can cause infection. The botulinum toxin can definitely kill an adult. That is why it so important to cook canned foods thoroughly. Be suspicious of unopened cans with bulges as they can be harboring toxin. ...Read more
Depends: The severity and time to recover from this toxin- induced neurological disease varies on the amount of toxin ingested and the time of toxin. Serotype a is generally more severe than the other usual types, b and e. It can be days to months. Also the rapid use of antitoxin can assist in lowering the time to recovery. ...Read more
BOTULISM: Moist heat at 120 degrees for 30 mins. Will kill the spores. ...Read more
No. The 5 kinds of : Botulism are: Foodborne, from foods that contain botulinum toxin; Wound infection; Infant & the rare Adult, from ingesting spores of Clostridium botulinum & Iatrogenic, from Botox overdose. Do not give honey, raw or undercooked foods to infants < 12 mos. The bacterium can live on cleaned carpets, floors & countertops; spores,in dust & soil. See: cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/dfbmd/diseases/botulism/ ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Is it possible that consuming alcoholic beverages along with possibly infected canned food kill the botulism toxin and reduce the risk of getting sick?
Not recommended: If any suspicion that food is contaminated do not eat it. Usually, that is appreciated visually, by smell and taste. Alcohol may neutralize bacteria, but not their toxins once they get in your system. There is a popular belief that alcohol would help in fighting infections and it may, however would not recommend it against deadly conditions, like botulism. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Does rubbing alcohol kill acne?
- Alcohol kill botulism
- Rubbing alcohol kills lice
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Does rubbing alcohol expire?
- Does rubbing alcohol burn?
- Does rubbing alcohol prevent acne?
- Does rubbing alcohol cure keloids?
- Talk to a pediatrician online