Doctor insights on:
Does Otitis Media With Effusion Cause Eardrum Scarring
Collection of purulent fluid behind tympanic membrane- many times secondary to nasal congestion/ viral uri- that can cause bulging of tympanic membrane, pain, redness or distortion of typical anatomic landmarks of membrane, poor mobility of membrane ultimately, tm can perforate or rupture with subsequent drainage of fluid into the ear canal. May take months for fluid from ...Read more
Not needed: In general, fluid behind the ear drum by itself doesn't need an "antiseptic" or antibiotic. If the fluid is infected that is a different story and antibiotics can be helpful. If fluid formed because of a nasal or sinus infection then again an antibiotic can help. Most antibiotics in common use such as amoxil, augmentin, ceftin, (cefuroxime) Bactrim etc... Are helpful. ...Read more
Expert opinions? Which antiseptic drug can you recommend for otitis media (fluid behind the ear drum)?
Confusing question: I am not aware of any antiseptic drugs used in the treatment of otitis media. However, we do use antibiotics.Those used vary by the age of the patient, the germ expected, personal allergy history and other factors derived by an office visit.Your pcp can sort this out. This site is not a substitute for an office evaluation when indicated. ...Read more
Antibiotic: Although there is some discussion about antibiotic treatment in otitis media, it is still the most common standard of care in treatment of a localized infection. The 'with effusion' just means there is fluid under pressure in the middle ear. If antibiotic treatment alone is ineffective over 3 months, many doctors recommend pe tubes. ...Read more
Went to doctors and have had otitis media with effusion for 2 weeks and going. How long can it take for ears to not feel full and fluid to drain?
2-4 weeks: after appropriate treatment is the general time frame for resolution. ...Read more
I have a ringing in one ear following otitis media with effusion, will this ringing go away when the fluid drains away?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Does otitis media with effusion cause sleep disturbance?
- Does otitis media with effusion cause developmental delay language 03 wk?
- Serous otitis media with effusion
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long does burst eardrum associated with acute otitis media last?
- How long does vertigo associated with otitis media with effusion last?
- Is babbles a symptom of otitis media with effusion?
- Is vertigo a symptom of otitis media with effusion?
- Talk to a pediatrician online