Doctor insights on:
Does Having A Pituitary Tumor Shorten Your Lifespan
"tumor" literally translates as "mass", so even a fresh bruise could be called a "tumor". Doctors use the term "neoplasm" (tranlates literally as new growth) to describe tumors that are abnormal growths of cells. These may be benign or malignant; "malignant" = cancer. In everyday usage, we use "tumor" ...Read more
Possibly.: Memory is a complex function of the brain that is dependent on many different areas. If a pituitary tumor is sufficiently large or spreads to other areas of the brain, then it is conceivable that memory would be affected. However, other symptoms, such as disruptions in hormone levels/functions and changes in vision, are far more likely. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Subtle: Cuts in the visual field that you won't notice until someone checks you with one eye closed. A woman's periods stopping or becoming irregular. Milk production perhaps. Lost libido. Headaches -- sometimes sudden and catastrophic. Needing bigger gloves. Just feeling run down and being called "neurotic". Weight gain / diabetes / hypertension / moods that get blamed on "lifestyle." bad tumor to miss. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Most tumors grow.: Even benign pituitary tumors may grow, albeit slowly. Observation may be appropriate for older or very ill patients, but treatment is important to establish a diagnosis, and smaller tumors are easier to remove without complications. Most of us collect medical problems, making surgery safer now than later in life. Untreated tumors may cause vision problems, headache, and hormone abnormalities. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Symptoms?: Many pituitary tumors need no immediate treatment. Usually when found, a hormone workup will be done and an endocrinology consult called as appropriate. Also, an opthalmological exam may be helpful to detect any small field cuts. Your neurosurgeon will orchestrate this. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Does a pituitary tumor affect your memory?
- Does your white blood cell count go up if you have a tumor?
- Does finding a black spot on your vaginal wall mean you have cancer?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What does that mean when have a rash by your butt check?
- If you have white cells in your vaginal discharge does it mean a std is present
- What does it mean if you have a horrible pain in the bottom of your butt?
- What does it mean when you have a trace of non hemolyzed blood in your urine?
- Talk to a oncologist online for free