Doctor insights on:
Does Grapefruit Juice Affect Thyroid Medicine
Grapefruit Juice: Grapefruit juice blocks special enzymes in the wall of the small intestine that actually destroys many medications and prevents their absorption into the body. Thus, smaller amounts of the drugs get into the body than are ingested. When the action of this enzyme is blocked, more of the drugs get into the body and the blood levels of these medications increase. This can lead to toxic side effects. ...Read more
Lemon juice: No it does not interfere with medication like grapefruit juice does. ...Read more
No: There is no interaction between the two. ...Read more
Quite the opposite!: Grapefruit juice(GFJ) affects the intestine to cause certain medications to be absorbed into the blood stream in HIGHER than normal amounts. This can lead to EXCESSIVE blood levels of certain medications including Calcium Channel Blocker medications for hypertension. **The effect of grapefruit juice can last longer than 24 hours. AVOID GFJ if you take these medicines:> http://bit.ly/1NQ7OuZ ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
No: Although grapefruit does interfere with some medications, it does not interfere with labetalol. Avoid foods with caffeine, over-the-counter cough and cold medicines, antacids with aluminum, and antihistamines. Alcohol should also be avoided, since it can reduce the effects of beta blockers. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Does grapefruit juice affect thyroid medication?
- Thyroid medicine and grapefruit juice
- How does grapefruit affect medicine?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Does drinking grapefruit juice affect inflammation drugs?
- Does grapefruit juice affect hormone levels?
- Does acai berry affect thyroid medicines?
- Grapefruit juice thyroid
- Talk to a endocrinologist online for free