Doctor insights on:
Does Congenital Heart Defects Cause Delivery Complication Asphyxia
Some causes: Heredity some families have more than one generation with defects. Congenital syndromes such as Down syndrome, Holt-Oram, Trisomies 13 and 18. Smoking and alcohol abuse during pregnancy have been associated with heart defects. In most instances cause of heart defect not known. ...Read more
Possilbly: It depends on the specific drug.Get a more detailed answer ›
Can congenital heart defects or certain drugs result in increased cardiac output? What else causes it? Mine is 7.2lmin squared.
CO = HR x SV: Cardiac output (co) is the volume of blood pumped per minute, and related to heart rate (hr) and stroke volume (sv) (volume per heart beat). It can be affected by many bodily activities. An increase in either hr or sv can result in inceased co. So any drug that increases hr (caffeine, etc) can result in incresed co. Certain congenital heart defects (such as septal defects) can alter co. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
They can/some don't: Congenital heart defects include a number of conditions that vary greatly in their impact on final growth. The more severe the defect, the more likely it will require multiple surgeries and impair the bodies strength & growth. The cyanotic or blue baby group of defects are more likely to do this.Some defects, like the common small VSD self correct & seldom if ever alter the patients life. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes they can: Alcohol intake during pregnancy is toxic to the fetus & heart defects have been associated with its use. Lithium, sometimes used for depression is associated with a specific defect. There are others. To produce a defect the toxin must be in play prior to 8 wks. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: The severe cases are diagnosed in kids. I have patients whose foramen ovale defects are diagnosed only now in their fifties, and only after an event that forces us to search deep into the problem. They were not diagnosed with usual echo and stress tests and thallium. So the answer is yes. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Does congenital viral infection cause delivery complication asphyxia?
- Delivery complication asphyxia congenital abnormalities
- Does delivery with shoulder dystocia cause delivery complication asphyxia?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Does congenital heart defects cause preterm neonatal complication pneumonia?
- Does meconium stained amniotic fluid cause delivery complication asphyxia?
- Does congenital heart defects cause fetal death?
- Congenital heart defects preterm neonatal complication pneumonia
- Talk to a pediatrician online