Doctor insights on:
Does Caffeine Kill Brain Cells
Studies show caffeine reduces Cerebral BloodFlow 27-40%... does this mean caffeine is damaging brain cells? Why not? Reduced blood flow is NOT good!?!
If that were: The whole truth, caffeine would not be the most widely used psychoactive agent on Earth. Caffeine also enhances alertness, enhances mental focus and improves score for all comers in tests of performance and cognition. So, this is what happens when you take one isolated physiologic response and try to then conclude something more complex about cell function, especially the brain. Neurobiology=??? ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Why do you ask?: Sorry, as a psychiatrist I always want to address safety first. ...Read more
In the usual way: The same way that anything gets into the brain: Arteries carry blood to the brain. The arteries branch into arterioles which branch into capillaries. Substances diffuse OUT of the capillaries into tissue & waste products diffuse INTO the capillaries from the tissues. It's true for every substance and every organ, not just the brain & caffeine. I guess you skipped human physiology in high school. ...Read more
No: Caffeine is a relatively safe substance. It does enhance wakefulness and alertness. Reducing it should not improve brain function and may, during the acute phase of withdrawal which cn last a couple of week, actually decrease brain function and cause headaches and a feeling of tiredness. ...Read more
Yes,it can cause: fatal arrthymias of the heart.Get a more detailed answer ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Does masturbation kill brain cell?
- Does marijuana kill brain cells?
- How many brain cells does a concussion kill?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Does nyquil or tylonel pm kill brain cells?
- Does sleeping medicine like trazidone kill brain cells?
- How smoking kills brain cells?
- How does brain cancer kill?
- Talk to a pharmacologist online for free