Doctor insights on:
Does Blepharitis Cause Excessive Eye Blinking
Does dry eye cause blepharitis or other way around? I have been dx with both years ago, but I go through times with no problems
Neither exactly: blepharitis is basically an overpopulation of bacteria that are normally present at the llid margin. Usually there is microscopic crusting at the bases of the eye lashes. The waste products made by the bacteria can enter the tears and cause irritation, and since dry eye patients have less tears, there is less dilution, so the dry eye irritation is aggravated by a lack of "rinsing." ...Read more
Blepharitis: Blepharitis can contribute to dry eye as the eyes stay moist through a combination of mucous production from goblet cells, a low level of tear production and oil production along the lids form glands such as Meibomian glands. The inflammation associated with blepharitis can reduce oil production exacerbating dry eye symptoms. The mainstay of treatment are warm compress and hygiene. ...Read more
I have evaporative dry eye & blepharitis: warm eye compress causes me eyes discomfort and little pain. Any alternative. Thanks for any advice.?
It can: Since the inflammation of the eyelid margin rests on the eye itself, the eye can become very inflamed and painful. Besides treating the cause of the blepharitis, controlling the inflammation is important to reduce the discomfort. Your ophthalmologist should be able to come up with a program to reduce your pain, . ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Occasionally: If the blepharitis is chronic or severe or you are unusually sensitive, tissues surrounding the inflammation can leak fluid which is carried downwards in the deeper tissues to cause swelling lower in the lid. See your ophthalmologist for the most effective treatment. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How often does blepharitis cause abnormal eye blinking?
- What causes excessive eye blinking?
- Does blepharitis really cause a lot of pain all around the eye?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Does blepharitis cause any other eye symptoms other than crusting on the lashes?
- Does sinus pressure cause blurred vision in one eye?
- Does excessive masturbation cause body hair growth in women?
- Does eye strain cause temple pain?
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online