Doctor insights on:
Does Blepharitis Cause Excessive Eye Blinking
Blepharitis: Blepharitis can contribute to dry eye as the eyes stay moist through a combination of mucous production from goblet cells, a low level of tear production and oil production along the lids form glands such as Meibomian glands. The inflammation associated with blepharitis can reduce oil production exacerbating dry eye symptoms. The mainstay of treatment are warm compress and hygiene. ...Read more
Does dry eye cause blepharitis or other way around? I have been dx with both years ago, but I go through times with no problems
Neither exactly: blepharitis is basically an overpopulation of bacteria that are normally present at the llid margin. Usually there is microscopic crusting at the bases of the eye lashes. The waste products made by the bacteria can enter the tears and cause irritation, and since dry eye patients have less tears, there is less dilution, so the dry eye irritation is aggravated by a lack of "rinsing." ...Read more
Occasionally: If the blepharitis is chronic or severe or you are unusually sensitive, tissues surrounding the inflammation can leak fluid which is carried downwards in the deeper tissues to cause swelling lower in the lid. See your ophthalmologist for the most effective treatment. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How often does blepharitis cause abnormal eye blinking?
- Causes of excessive eye blinking in children
- What causes excessive eye blinking?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Excessive eye blinking in toddlers
- Excessive eye blinking in adults
- Causes of excessive blinking in children
- What causes excessive blinking?
- Talk to a infectious disease specialist online