Doctor insights on:
Does Baking At High Temperatures Kill Mold On Cheese
I accidentally ate some moldy shredded cheese. I take 40mg pantaprozol. Should I be worried I don't have enough acid to kill the mold?
Thieves Oils: Theives oil will kill all molds; but nothing will work well until the moisture problem is cleared up. This is a proprietary blend of essential oils of clove, rosemary, cinnamon, eucalyptus and lemon. Several studies have shown effectiveness in killing mold spores. ...Read more
I think I ate mold on American cheese on a sandwich I had from McDonalds. I have to go on vacation today and I'm worried I'll be sick. Will I be ok?
No worries: Eating common mold on bread or cheese is not dangerous and you won't have any symptoms. Don't worry about it. Have a great vacation! ...Read more
Generally not: You are not likely to die.Get a more detailed answer ›
Black Mold: Very hard to tell what type of mold it is by just looking at it. There are lots of different molds out there that can have a dark or black color. The best way to identify is to have experts take samples to determine what mold you are dealing with. Exposure to small amounts of mold in your house will not kill you but if you have an indoor mold allergy, it can contribute to worsening rhinitis/asthma ...Read more
No: Your house needs to be cleaned, and the mold manually removed. ...Read more
I say "No": Lawyers and "pop" health advocates claim that various molds in the home produce substances that cause grave illness. I remain skeptical after having followed the claims for about 15 years. Since it's hard to eliminate mold from hard-to-get-to places in the home, people seeking explanations for vague. Mysterious symptoms will decide mold is the cause, go online & tell others. ...Read more
I'm 20 I'm thin I don't gain a lot. I don't eat a lot of vegetables or fruit. I eat a lot of meat, cheese and junk food. I'm a lazy person. Kill me?
Diet: It is now scientifically proven that a healthy diet should consist mainly of protein calories. The standard that is well respected is that 60% of your calories should come from proteins. Then next would be 25% of calories being from carbohydrates and then 15% from fats. This does not sound like you are on the fast tract to an early death. ...Read more
How can I clean up. Mold spores without just stirring them around more and what if anything to use besides bleach? How can I kill mold spores?
Get a service: If the area involved is rather small, you may attempt to clean it up with bleach then drying by taking the proper precautions (face mask, goggles) unless you are highly allergic to molds. Any material especially dry walls & particle boards contaminated must be removed. The source of water must be corrected. For any area larger than a few square feet, it is best to get a professional to do it. ...Read more
I think I have accidentally ingested a bit of mold now my sides killing ne and ovaries hurt but not on period!?
Not related: I doubt your ingestion of a bit of mold would have caused abdominal and ovarian pain. You may want to discuss your pain with your doctor to see if perhaps OCP might help your ovarian pain. ...Read more
No and possibly: Moldy cheese has no ill effects on teeth. Mold on soft cheeses should be discarded as it can send threads throughout the cheese and bacteria and other pathogens may grow along with the mold. It is less of a problem with harder cheeses. Not all molds pose risks. Some cheeses use molds to produce the flavor. It would be safer just to discard moldy cheese. ...Read more
Good question: Better be cautious, even if you consumed the blue cheese before, but mind you, allergy to amoxicllin, or to any drug, at times is rather a side effect not a true allergy, rash developing if you have viral illness and receive amoxicllin can be interpreted as allergic reaction, at any rate, try to avoid the blue cheese, keep an antihistaminic and an epinephrine pen handy, till you see an allergist ...Read more
Can I spray straight vinegar in a room and it kill the mold spores it comes in contact with? Or what can I spray that will kill them?
No: You will have to flood the room with vinegar and let it sit there to kill them. The most important step is to stop the water intrusion then remove all articles (drywall, particle board, carpeting etc) which have been contaminated by molds. Clorox probably works as well as anything else in keeping off molds but you will have to be careful about exposure. Water=molds. ...Read more
My mom unknowingly used 2 pcs of bread from a loaf that had black mold. Made my daughter a grilled cheese sand (no mold)Daughter ate 1/4 of it. Toxic?
Usually not: Most molds are harmless, but some are dangerous. Some contain mycotoxins. The USDA has a nice chart about how to deal with various foods that are moldy. Check it out for all the details. It breaks down into the two obvious options – http://www. Fsis. Usda. Gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/molds-on-food-are-they-dangerous_/ ...Read more
I'm 31 weeks pregnant and found mold on my sharp cheddar cheese block. Can I safely consume the non moldy parts?
Yes: Yes, it is usually safe to eat non-moldy cheese. ...Read more
If a person has penicillin allergy, is it safe to eat roquefort, blue, or gorgonzola cheese? Does the mold in the cheese make penicillin?
Great question: Reactions to penicillin in foods eaten by persons allergic to penicillin are rare - perhaps 10 cases in past 25 years worldwide. Cases involve eating meat from an animal given penicillin before slaughtering. I found no cases attributed to the cheeses listed. They use a different species of the genus penicillium to add flavor. Also many persons who think they are penicillin allergic are not. ...Read more
Listeria hysteria! I ate 4 day old cheese and bacon roll. I did heat it in the microwave for 90s an it came out piping hot! Would that kill listeria?
Stop the hysteria: Listeria can actually be normal flora. Millions of people ate cheese that had been sitting out on the same day that you did. Listeria usually results from a problem at the manufacturer's end in which the little tumblers overgrew. Settle down and stop reading internet scare stuff. ...Read more
Sprayed chlorine 2 kill mold. Now throat has red streaks. How long for it to heal? I've asked before but want to know how long for it to heal?
Another reason for your red streaks since it is extremely unusual to have throat irritation lasting for more than a few days from spraying cleaning strength Chlorine products!
Hope this is helpful
Dr Z ...Read more
I is it up with a sinus infection nothing my room I've been exposed to mold off of none and now my chest to my lungs are killing me I can taste infect?
Unclear question: But you should consult your doctor to get this checked out. At the least, your sinus infection may require treatment. ...Read more
Ebola: Ebola are moderately thermolabile and can be inactivated by heating for 30 minutes to 60 minutes at 60°C or boiling for 5 minutes. ...Read more
I don't understand why a microwave doesn't kill toxoplasma. Doesn't it make the food get to a very high temperature? Just like when you cook it?
Use meat thermometer: Microwaving will kill toxo, if you cook long enough at high enough energy. To make sure you should use a meat thermometer to check the temperature so that all parts are heated to at least 160 degrees. ...Read more
No temp is ok: Creutzfeldt jacob disease is transmitted by a small agent called a prion which is an abnormal protein which can replicate by changing the structure of protein like it when ingested. It is not destroyed by the normal temperatures used in cooking or even sterilizing, and therefore the disease can not be prevented in this fashion. ...Read more
Being lactose intolerant, can you get diarrhea 24 hours after ingesting dairy (cheese)? Or could it be dehydration resulting from high temperatures?
I can say that there are lower fat cheeses that you may have in limited quanties. Think no more than 1-2 ounces of low fat cheese
ie mozarella, farmers cheese, armenian string cheese, low fat havarti, etc. These cheese have about 80-90 cal per ounce.
I'm afraid that many people can easily consume about 4 ounces--too much--and they would consider that "moderation". Not for most of us. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- How high does a cooking temperature have to be to kill creutzfeldt jakob disease?
- Does xanax kill sperm?
- Does semen kill plaque?
- Does savlon kill scabies?
- Does bleach kill fungi?
- Does hospice kill patients?
- Does hairspray kill lice?
- Is feta cheese high in cholesterol?