Doctor insights on:
Do You Have To Fast For Hemoglobin A1c Test
Short answer: The test measures indirectly measures glucose control over the preceding 6-8 weeks. It does not measure sugar directly; therefore i would believe it not to be necessary to fast prior to the test. However, the best way to answer this question is to call the lab where you go to have the blood drawn and ask them directly whether you need to fast for the test. ...Read more
Poor sugar control: Hemoglobin A1c measures average blood sugar over approximately the past 3 months. It is the measure of how much hemoglobin is attached to sugar molecules in the blood. Sugar in your blood binds to the hemoglobin of the red blood cell and stays there throughout the cell's lifetime (120 days). At high levels of blood sugar, more reacts w/ the hemoglobin, causing an elevated hemoglobin a1c. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
4 to 6: The normal range varies from lab to lab but is generally between about 4 and 6 percent. ...Read more
Good: Guidelines are frequently revised in the diagnosis of prediabetes. The current guidelines consider Hgb a1c values of 5.7 or less to be normal. For practical purposes, a value of 5.8 is good. If there is family history of diabetes, it should be retested every six months ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No: There Are some conditions that can affect your HgbA1c level but infection is not one of them. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long do you have to fast for a hemoglobin a1c test?
- What is a hemoglobin a1c test?
- Why do type 1 diabetic patients have to increase their hemoglobin a1c?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is a hemoglobin a1c test a conclusive test for diabetes?
- Do you have to fast for bun blood test?
- Do you have to fast for a thyroid test?
- Do you have to fast before a cholesterol test?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free