Doctor insights on:
Do Thyroid Nodules Shrink On Their Own
Usually not: In the distant past, thyroid hormone was used to 'shrink' nodules. More recent studies with ultrasound monitoring has shown that most nodules do not shrink with thyroid hormone treatment. Because thyroid cancer is the fastest increasing cancer in women, it is important to follow most thyroid nodules with ultrasound. With hashimoto's thyroiditis, there can be false or pseudonodules. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends on the cause: If a nodule is due to hashimoto's thyroiditis (inflammation caused by autoimmunity, where one's own immune system attacks one's proteins and tissues), then taking thyroid hormone pills can shrink it. If it's a tumor that's over-producing thyroid hormone, radioactive iodine can kill it, and make it smaller). Fluid-filled cysts can be drained with a needle, but may grow back. Cancer needs surgery. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Yes: Yes, it can shrink. Most solid nodules are adenomas and are benign. If it shrinks that is a good sign...It is .Likely benign. It is the ones that get larger or are large when they are first found that need closer assessment. In this case a biopsy may be needed to assess more closely. Btw thyroid nodules are pretty common. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can thyroid nodules shrink on their own?
- Thyroid nodule will it go away on its own
- Do torn tendons heal on their own?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Do hot thyroid nodules show up darker on ultrasound?
- Ovarian cyst do they go away on their own
- Do dry sockets heal on their own?
- What causes external hemorrhoids and do they away on their own?
- Talk to an otolaryngologist online