Doctor insights on:
Do People In Coma Hear You
No: In true coma there is no recognition of anything in the environment. Sometimes people who have been in a coma remember conversations, but many times these never occurred. Dreams and other neurologic functions can cause false memories. However, it's a good idea to always act as if the person can hear what you say. When coming out of a coma some conversations may be remembered. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Likely yes!: I can answer this from personal experience. I spent months in an ICU on a ventilator and i was in a coma for part of that time. I heard a lot more than anyone imagined! believe me, i could write a soap opera. Always assume that someone in a coma can hear you. Talk to the person as if they can, and put your mouth close to their ear. Don't let anyone make you feel silly for doing so! ...Read more
It depends: There are many forms of coma. With light coma the patient can be aware and remember everything that occurs around him. In deeper forms they may be aware but do not remember. In very deep forms there is no awareness or memory. It is very difficult for even highly trained observers to judge the level of coma. No specfic test is definitive. Assume they are aware until proven otherwise. ...Read more
Can you explain if it's true that when someone is in a coma, they can hear things, but can't respond?
It can be true: Coma is a state where people do not respond to the environment. There are several causes of coma. It can be induced by medications, can be caused by trauma, infection as exemple of a few. Depending of the depth of the coma or the cause and where the lesion is the patient might be able to hear but not respond. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Do you lose weight in a coma?
- How do you feel in a coma?
- Do people dream iwhile they are in a coma?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Do you hurt in the lower back and hip in early signs of pregnancy?
- Why do you get a strange taste in your mouth when you have a cold or flu?
- Why can you hear your heartbeat in your ear?
- How do you get rid of neck pain from sleeping in the wrong position?
- Talk to a neurologist online