Doctor insights on:
Do Men And Women Both Have Porphyria
The porphyrias are metabolic disorders caused by abnormalities in the synthesis of heme, the portion of hemoglobin which carries the iron inside red blood cells. The manifestations of porphyria vary considerably depending on the mutation involved, ranging from light sensitivity to liver failure to nerve damage to bouts of terrible pain. Special testing is required to ...Read more
Inherited: Typically inherited problem in the breakdown of red blood cells, in particular heme. The abdominal pain and crises can be set off by medications, alcohol, or low calorie diets. Medications that cause include but are not limited to barbiturates, anticonvulsants, estrogens, oral contraceptives, or even supplements (chromium for example). ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends on the type: There are 8 different kinds of porphyria. Depending on the type of porphyria, an attack can be precipitated by sunlight exposure, alcohol, inadequate diet, carbohydrate restriction, certain drugs or chemicals, hormonal changes & stress. Often a combination of triggers can precipate an attack. For more info, see the porphyria foundation's website: http://www.Porphyriafoundation.Com/about-porphyria. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Possibly: Porphyria symptoms can include depression, confusion, hallucinations & delusions. These symptoms are most likely to occur during an acute attack. Other symptoms that one may experience during an attack could also affect thinking & memory. For examply, nausea & pain may decrease one's ability to concentrate, thereby affecting memory & attention span. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
No: There is no special or particular diet required or recommended for persons with porphyria. Rather, the principles of good and sensible nutrition apply. These principles call for a varied and balanced diet, particularly with avoidance of over-nutrition. Consumption of too many calories, in excess of daily needs for calorie and energy consumption, as well as too little can lead to exacerbations. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Do women have abdominal aortic aneurysms just like men do?
- Does feeling sexually attracted to both women and men mean that you are bisexual?
- Do men truly have a stronger sex drive than women?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Why do women feel bloated and have water weight gain in beginning of memopause?
- Can both men and women get lymphedema?
- How do men have sex with others who have hiv and they know it?
- Why do my ears both get red and hot sometimes?
- Talk to a hematologist online for free