Doctor insights on:
Do I Have To See A Specialist To Get A Botulism Toxin Assay Ordered
Poisonous substance produced within living cells or organisms;man-made substances created by artificial processes are thus excluded. The term was first used by organic chemist ludwig brieger (1849–1919). For a toxic substance not produced within living organisms, "toxicant" and "toxics" are also sometimes used.. Toxins can be small ...Read more
Botulism is rare: If you have symptoms of botulism ( a serious type of food poisoning) then you will likely be referred to a facility where the test could be done. If you have had Botox for cosmetic reasons, there is no need for tests because the dose is too tiny to cause systemic symptoms. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Can i get botulism from raw garlic, no oil, just a clove or two diced and chewed daily. Spores on it a problem? Wash it first? Does toxin grow on it?
Botulism: As long as you dont store the garlic in oilthere should be no problem. ...Read more
Is it possible that consuming alcoholic beverages along with possibly infected canned food kill the botulism toxin and reduce the risk of getting sick?
Not recommended: If any suspicion that food is contaminated do not eat it. Usually, that is appreciated visually, by smell and taste. Alcohol may neutralize bacteria, but not their toxins once they get in your system. There is a popular belief that alcohol would help in fighting infections and it may, however would not recommend it against deadly conditions, like botulism. ...Read more
Low risk: Proper canning is vital but a high acid fluid like pineapple juice is at low risk for having botulinum spores to germinate. ...Read more
Don't generalize...: Food-borne botulism in adults develops after ingestion of pre-formed toxin in improperly preserved canned goods, native american foods (whale or seal), ; such foods as baked potatoes, cheese sauce, beef stew, garlic cooking oil. Infants develop botulism when their GI tracts are colonized by live c. Botulinum bacteria or they intake small amt of toxin from possible sources like dust, soil, honey. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Do i have to see a specialist to get a hysteroscopy ordered?
- Do i have to see a specialist to get an esophagram ordered?
- Do i have to see a specialist to get a mono spot ordered?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Do i have to see a specialist to get a stool culture ordered?
- Do i have to see a specialist to get a thoracic spine mri with dye ordered?
- Do i have to see a specialist to get a neck mri without dye ordered?
- Do i have to see a specialist to get a stool ova and parasite exam ordered?
- Talk to a pediatrician online