Doctor insights on:
Do Braces Actually Work In Preventing Acl Injuries
No: No they don"t.Get a more detailed answer ›
Strengthen: Probably the best way would be to work on hamstring and quad strengthening exercises especially in the offseason the use of plyometric exercises also would be beneficial. If you have significant instability, the use of a stabiliztion brace might prevent more significant injuries. But preseason conditioning would be the key in my mind. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Not really: An acl brace has not been shown to prevent any rotation in the knee. It really only prevents stress on the mcl or lcl ligaments. A patient without an acl can still injury the meniscus and cartilage while wearing a brace. Furthermore, many braces inhibit the quad muscles, further worsening some symptoms. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
My son tore his acl so his orthopedic doctor gave him a brace to prevent him move his knee. But for some reason he limps with it. Why does he limp?
Yes: Most acl tears cannot be repaired and must be reconstructed to restore the anatomy. Reconstruction means taking another ligament and putting it in the place of the old acl. Repair refers to the sewing together of torn pieces of the acl. The results of repairs of tears are simply not as good as reconstruction so it really is not an option for tears. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Do jaw expanding braces really work in stopping snoring in children?
- Why do ankle braces help prevent injury during exercise?
- How well do the whooping cough vaccines work in preventing whooping cough?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Do inversion tables work for a pinched nerve in the neck?
- Types of water exercises for an acl injury in the knee
- What do you do to prevent scaring from flea bites does off spray work?
- Do grapes or grape juices help in preventing stomach viruses?
- Talk to a sports medicine specialist online for free