Doctor insights on:
Do Babies Get Strep Throat
Depends on situation: Babies who have close exposure to a strep carrier can develop an infection if the back of the nose & upper airway leading to high fever, loss of appetite & sometimes a rash. They can also carry the germ in the same locations without symptoms ir infection. Their tonsils are rather small & less likely to be the main focus of any strep issue until after 2 or so. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
See 2 more doctor answers
Infant strep throat: Strep pharyngitis is less common in children under 1 year, but does occur and can cause disease. If strep pharyngitis is diagnosed in an infant 6-12 months of age, it should be treated. Amoxicillin, in a dose of 40-50 mg/kg is a good choice (assuming there are no drug allergies). ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Yes: Although uncommon for babies to be diagnosed with strep throat, certainly anything is possible! strep is generally passed from one victim to another by direct contact or through infected droplets of naso-oral secretions. Most caretakers are cautious around newborns, understanding that these little ones can be at risk. But, if dad--with strep throat--"parked" junior's pacifier in his mouth, well... ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
See 1 more doctor answer
No: You are talking about 2 completely different diseases. Rsv (respiratory syncytial virus) is a respiratory virus which can cause bronchiolitis in babies. Strep throat is caused by a bacteria, group a strep. An antibiotic can treat a bacterial, but not a viral infection. However, both are contagious, so good hygiene is important to minimize spread. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can you get strep throat even if you do not have tonsils?
- Can my baby get rsv from someone who has strep throat?
- How do you get strep throat?
- How do i not get strep if i am babysitting a girl with strep throat?
- How do i know if my baby has strep throat?
- Do you get a fever with strep throat?
- Head pressure and sore throat where do i get tested for strep throat
- What is strep throat and how do you get it?
- Talk to a pediatrician online for free