Doctor insights on:
Digestive System And Homeostasis
Tolerance: The GI tract is tolerant of food antigens, and mounts a response to infections. ...Read more
It absorbs all.: the nutrients you eat and stores/utilizes the ones you need and you defecate or urinate out the ones you don't ...Read more
Best not to: Your body has a natural mechanism for eliminating waste, and generally it is better to let it handle it. Cleansing usually involves ingesting or inserting various 'natural' toxins which serve only to upset your gut's normal homeostasis (=balanced environment). Occasionally the body needs help restoring itself back to balance, esp after antibiotics, so probiotics may help in this specific case. ...Read more
About 24 Hours: Food is broken down by chewing & digestive enzymes in mouth & swallowed down esophagus to stomach where more enzymes & acid chemically break it down further. Passing into the 40 feet long small intestine where bile from the liver neutralizes acid & breaks up fats. Pancreatic enzymes break down starches. The remaining waste has water resorbed & is eliminated as stool. It takes about 24 hours. ...Read more
Nutrition: Our nutrition decisions and intake can affect every part of our body. Our body use glucose as its main energy source but can get glucose from sugars, proteins and fats. There are vitamins and minerals that our body needs to run the multitude of chemical reactions constantly running. Deficiencies can lead to many different medical issues with two of the more common being anemia or osteoporosis ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How does the digestive system maintain homeostasis?
- How do the respiratory circulatory and digestive system work together?
- How do the circulatory system and the digestive system work together?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Does a broken bone and the immune system affect homeostasis in the body?
- Relationship between circulatory system and digestive system in white rat
- Interaction between circulatory and digestive system
- Do the respiratory system and the digestive system work together?
- Talk to a colorectal surgeon online for free