Doctor insights on:
Difference Between Food Poisoning And Stomach Flu
Not really: Stomach flu is related to viruses that can be transmitted by eating contaminated food or water or personal contact with other people who are ill. Foodborne illness ( food poisoning is another term for this) occurs as a direct result of ingesting contaminated food or fluids. Toxins are produced by the parasites, viruses or bacteria, . ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Food poisoning / flu: Food poisoning & 'stomach flu' both irritate the stomach lining & produce similar symptoms. Initial treatment is the same - primarily hydration. Drink clear liquids for the first 24 hours, rest and avoid eating regular food until regular liquids and soft bland foods are tolerated. If significant fever, weakness , dehydration of blood occur, or if symptoms persist, should see a doctor. ...Read more
Difficult : If you have an obvious risky food exposure with other sick contacts then food posioning would be more likely. Otherwise very difficult to differentiate the two. ...Read more
No idea: I do not imagine the actual frequency of "food poisoning" in china is known, but the term is so vague that it could refer to any of several dozen conditions. Viruses which affect the GI tract are extremely common, including influenza, which may produce GI symptoms. My guess is that this would be far more common than illnesses transmitted through food, but have no data to support that opinion. ...Read more
Very tough: Unless you know the suspected food and are able to test it, or there is an outbreak with an epidemiological analysis it may be very hard to determine the source of self-limited nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. On the other hand if your child has fever, other symptoms outside the GI tract, they probably have a viral illness, although not necessarily influenza. ...Read more
How can I overcome this stomach flu or possible food poisoning, my finals are coming up really soon?
See your doctor: These are important symptoms that need to be evaluated in person by your physician as soon as possible. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What's the difference between stomach flu and food poisoning
- How to tell difference between food poisoning and stomach flu?
- How can you tell the difference between food poisoning and a stomach virus?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Difference between flu and food poisoning symptoms
- Difference between gastroenteritis and stomach flu
- Is there a difference between stomach flu nausea and anxiety nausea?
- What is the difference between food poisoning and food infection?
- Talk to a urgent care specialist online for free