Doctor insights on:
Did Smoking During Pregnancy Cause My Baby To Have Meconium Aspiration Syndrome
1. The removal of a gas or fluid by suction. 2. The sucking of fluid or a foreign body into the airway when drawing breath. 3. A surgical technique used in the treatment of cataracts of the eye, in which an incision is made into the cornea, the lens capsule is severed, and the material of the lens is fragmented and ...Read more
Respiratory distress: Meconium is the production the baby expels from the colon and rectum that built up while in utero . When meconium is expelled in utero and the baby's first breath results in inhaling into the lungs, the baby cannot absorb oxygen well. Sometimes we can suction it from nose, mouth and trachea and the baby will be fine. Sometimes, it is so severe, the baby needs mechanical ventilation or ecmo. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
If I decide to do a home birth, how do I know if my baby is at risk for meconium aspiration syndrome?
Aspiration: The amount of time spent in a nicu depends upon the severity of the aspiration ...Read more
What are the long-term effects if my baby had meconium aspiration syndrome? Should I be worried about any particular disease or brain damage?
Two primary issues: Mas outcomes can be divided into 2 main issues:lung & development.Since meconium passage itself comes from prenatal stress, which is a risk factor for movement disorders (CP) & learning problems.The intensity of the lung disease/ventilation/ecmo need points to further problems with oxygen supply to the brain & can amplify those issues. The lung disease could be minimal & brief or bad & long term. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
maybe: Mecononium aspiration at birth can cause a condition called an 'anoxic brain injury'. This is when not enough oxygen feeds the brain. As a result one can suffer with learning disabilities, physical deficits, mental retardation, and other disorders. A psychological disorder can develop depending on multiple factors but not all ma babies will necessarily develop any of the above. ...Read more
Meconium ; asthma: Meconium aspiration depending on severity can cause "chronic lung disease" (cld). Cld is a term used for a variety of lung diseases producing similar symptoms ; end results. Relationship of meconium aspiration to asthma is not well studied. Since asthma ; cld have similar symptoms to present with some children may be wrongly diagnosed with asthma. ...Read more
Respiratory distress: Meconium aspiration syndrome(mas) occurs when an infant delivers via meconium stained amniotic fluid which travels into the lungs and causes respiratory distress. You must exclude other forms of respiratory distresss. Mas can be mild to severe. Severe forms can lead to severe lack of oxygen and respiratory failure. It can occur in 20-30% of meconium stained deliveries. Treatment is in the nicu. ...Read more
If you're pregnant or planning to get pregnant, there are many things you can do to give your baby a healthy start: Regular prenatal visits along with laboratory testing, ultrasounds, prenatal vitamins and immunizations (like the flu shot and whopping cough booster). Now's the time to eat healthy, stay hydrated, and ...Read more
More than 46 million, nearly 21% of adults in the United States, smoke, according to a 2010 report by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Smoking rates remained constant from 2005 - 2009. Smoking kills more than 5 million people a year worldwide, accounting for 1 out of ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Did something happen during the pregnancy to cause my baby to have polycythemia
- What causes my baby to have scaly red rashes during the winter?
- Smoking pregnancy cause baby aspiration syndrome
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Is diarrhea during pregnancy harmful to my baby?
- What would cause my unborn baby to have enlarged ventricles?
- How to lose a baby during pregnancy without abortion?
- What to eat during pregnancy for fair baby?
- Talk to a pediatrician online