Doctor insights on:
Dicon Carbon Monoxide Detector
Carbon monoxide: The place for carbon monoxide dectors is on the ceiling of a room. ...Read more
Where should u place carbon monoxide detectors? Near sleeping areas, but near baseboard or up higher? I've read contradictory opinions when "Googling"
Anywhere.: They may be placed anywhere. The density of CO is so close to that of air that it does not layer. See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21536403 J Emerg Med. 2012 Apr;42(4):478-82. doi: 10.1016/j.jemermed.2011.03.015. Epub 2011 May 4. ...Read more
CO Detector: Carbon monoxide (co) is colorless, odorless, and lethal in adequate concentrations. It requires a specific detector, most of which are independent from a traditional "smoke detector, " but some brands are combination units. They are strongly encouraged for sleeping areas. ...Read more
Usually hours...: ...Because the concentration of co is not that high, but it binds to the hemoglobin on red blood cells very tightly, so does not come off and builds up over time. Example is news reports of person(s) who slept with co leak & died over night--which is why separate co detectors are recommended (+ smoke detector). High concentration environment could build up more quickly, still likely a few hours. ...Read more
Many: Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause headaches, blurry vision, fatigue and lightheadedness, and progress to alteration of conciousness rather quickly. You should have a carbon monoxide detector (with charged batteries!) in your house to determine if there are unsafe levels in your home. Please go to the er immediately if you suspect poisoning; they will check your blood and get treatment started. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Just a few caveats: Best to avoid contact with carbon monoxide. All homes should have detectors, they are cheap and work well. Beware of some older cars, as exhaust systems may leak and enter vehicle especially in wintertime. At high altitude, always risk with inside fires, especially cooking with charcoal. Signs of early exposure include headaches, dizziness, and cherry red coloration at tips of fingers. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Get away from source: If you do, get fresh air to breathe. You can have the home checked with a carbon monoxide detector to see if source is there. You should be checked at er to see for certain. ...Read more
Keep aerated: Carbon monoxide is a product of burning of fuels. Make sure the area where the fuel is being burned, heat stove would be a common example, is well ventilated and the ducts are sealed in the pipes. It would also be adviseable to get a carbon monoxide detector. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How long do the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning take to go away?
- Can you get carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas stove?
- How long does carbon monoxide poisoning stay bound to hemoglobin?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Are there natural ways to treat carbon monoxide poisoning?
- Side effects of carbon monoxide poisoning
- Long term effects of carbon monoxide poisoning to the kidneys
- Talk to a occupational medicine specialist online for free