Doctor insights on:
Desi Treatment For Cough
Hard to treat: Cough is a basic reflex that keeps us alive. The airway is the most sensitive part of the body for a reason. It keeps food out of our lungs. When the airway is irritated, there is no way to tell the body to ignore it. If the cause of the airway irritation can be found and treated, that can help the cough resolve sooner. Mucus draining down the throat is a common cause of prolonged cough. ...Read more
OTC Meds: Several over the counter medicines can help suppress a cough including delsym or robitussin. These medicines contain a cough suppressent called dextromethorphan. Other home remedies include cool mist humidifier in your bedroom. There was an excellent study that showed a teaspoon of honey before bedtime suppressed a cough better than dextromethrophan. If your symptoms dont improve call your doctor. ...Read more
Depends: Generally, a chronic cough is defined as one lasting more than 8 weeks. The most common causes include post nasal drainage, reflux, and asthma. Depending on the cause, the treatment is different. For example for asthma, inhaled corticosteroids are the mainstay. It's best to see your doctor for testing to determine cause. Your smoking status is also important. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Tips: Hydrate well. Consider using a warm air vaporizer. Mix several teaspoons of honey into herbal tea with a squeeze of lemon juice. Or make tea with 2 tsp of marshmallow root bark per 1cup of hot water (steep in a covered pot for at least 5 minutes). Drink several times a day or as needed to relieve coughing. See a physician if your cough is not resolving, difficulty breathing or temp > 104. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What is the best treatment for productive cough with thick mucus?
- What is the best treatment for productive cough?
- What is the best treatment for barking cough?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Herbal treatment for productive cough with thick mucus
- Ayurvedic treatment for cough in children
- What is the best treatment for vomiting after coughing?
- Ayurvedic treatment for cold and cough
- Talk to an otolaryngologist online