Doctor insights on:
Nerve Impulse Transmission
It's complex: 1. Polarization of the neuron's membrane; 2. Resting potential gives the neuron a rest; 3. Action potential: sodium ions move inside the membrane; 4. Repolarization: potassium ions move outside, and sodium ions stay inside the membrane; 5. Hyperpolarization: more potassium ions are on the outside than there are sodium ions on the inside; 6. Refractory period puts everything back to normal. ...Read more
The brain and spinal cord communicates with what is occurring in the internal organs and limbs by nerve fibers where are like electrical wires with insulation (myelin) and the "copper" (axon). Within brain and spinal cord these nerves connect to other nerves via synapses on both axons and dendrites. A nerve can carry information regarding sensations, and ...Read more
With peripheral neuropathy, what conditions could cause damage to both axons and myelin as shown in nerve conduction tests? And can it be reversed?
Brief explanation: Most neuropathies affect myelin coverings (Schwann cell), but an advancing axonal neuropathy can secondarily affect the myelin. This is not simple, and you would be far better served by a Concierge consult, and/or find an experienced Medical School neurologist. Reversibility depends on causes and appropriate therapy. ...Read more
If the immune system attacked killed the neurons cell body axons dendrites nerves throughout the body is it possible and what diagnosis would this be?
Complicated: This description is quite improbable and sounds as it the person may be deceased. If you are having neurological deficiencies stronglysuggest that you see a neurologist and be evaluated. Good luck. ...Read more
Please ask: Recommend a clear & specific question.Get a more detailed answer ›
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Also called a nerve impulse transmitted by axons
- How to find out how far along a pregnancy is by the due date?
- How to fix a pinched nerve in arm?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How much is it to go to a ent with no insurnace?
- How soon is it safe to masturbate after a vaginal hysterectomy?
- How to make out weather a girl is virgin or not?
- How do i cure a fungal infection on my face that is resistant to azole drugs?
- Talk to a neurologist online