Doctor insights on:
Dangers Of Sulfites
I eat dried fruit each day. What do the sulfites do inside a person's body, and why do some people say sulfites are bad?
Ignorance, mostly...: Sulfites are added to dried fruits to keep them from turning brown; they occur naturally in some things, e.g. Wine & beer. Contrary to popular perception, sulfiting agents are not teratogenic, mutagenic, or carcinogenic - but you can be allergic to them. The fda puts them in the category of "generally regarded as safe." so if you're not allergic to them, eat your dried fruit and don't worry. Read more
Yes: Many people are allergic to a variety of preservative agents, particularly sulfites and bisulfites, which are found in many forms of distilled spirits. Facial swelling can be one of the symptoms, and more severe symptoms can occur with continued exposure. I would avoid whatever liquor caused this, and stay away from many wines as well. An allergist would be your best advisor. Read more
No: Sulfa (short for sulfonamide) is a common allergy to a class of drugs. Sulfites are additives in wines and some foods. Some people are allergic but these two allergies are not related. Nobody is allergic to sulfur. It is a common element in virtually every food we eat, all our amino acids and all the important chemicals in our body. Sulfa, sulfites, sulfur... Sound the same but no relation Read more
They could: Sulfites are compounds that might occur naturally, or be added to enhance flavor or improve preservation. About 1 in 100 people are sensitive to sulfites -- and these might experience GI distress after eating them. The sensitivity can develop at any time. Read more
Molybdenum found in black beans is said to help break down sulfites in e.g. Wine. So shall I eat the beans before/after/or during the meal?
Sulfite free: Wine-available at most health food stores.Get a more detailed answer ›
I am allergic to sulfa drugs. How likely is it that I'm also allergic to the sulfites in red wine?
Sulfa not= sulfite: Sulfonamide drug allergies are not generally predictive of reactions to sulfites. Although they sound similar, the body sees these chemicals quite differently. Sulfa antibiotics easily stimulate the immune system to make specific responses, hence allergies, but most reactions to sulfites are due to it being broken down into sulfur dioxide gas inside the body. Read more
I eat dried fruit each day. Some are sulfite-free. Do sulfites prevent mold or bacterial growth on the dried fruit? If so, is sulfite-free more risky?
No.: Sulfites do discourage some bacterial growth, but they are mostly used used on fruits and vegetable to prevent unpleasant browning, and on shrimp and lobster to prevent melanosis, or “black spot”. "sulfite-free" is more of a marketing tactic than anything else; but some people are allergic to sulfites, and must avoid foods and beverages that contain them. Read more
Possible: Play detective as different people metabolize and process certain foods and drink differently. Alcohol such as beers are definitively known to cause some people to have foul sulfur like (rotten eggs) smelling flatulence. Wine may be your nemesis. After a while you will know your trigger foods and can avoid them. Read more
Since having a baby, I have a rxn to alcohol with one sip w/ in minutes. Allergist said prob. Sulfite sensitivity. Don't react to any other sulfites?
Had allergic congestion from sulfites in dried fruit before, now have rash after eating pasta made with dried vegetables--possible sulfites caused?
See allergist or GI: Rash after eating a food can be a manifestation of food allergy. Skin testing or ige antibody test for suspected food allergen is way to test. Sulfites typically not a common cause of true allergic reaction but can cause non allergic reaction. Suggest you see an allergist or gastroenterologist. Take a picture of any rash you see after eating and keep detailed food diary also helpful for evaluation. Read more
I have an allergy to sulfur antibiotics and was told I must avoid all sulfates and sulfites example magnesium and zinc sulfate, even epsom salts?
Different substances: It may be perfectly okay since they are really different - sulfa, sulfite, sulfate can have very different effects on you. But, you'd be wise to watch carefully and be prepared to cease use if you are also sensitive to it. As you know allergic folk can have many sensitivities. Here's info: http://allergies.about. Com/od/medicationallergies/a/sulfahub. Htm Also ask your Dr. -- Be well! Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I'm allergic to sulfites and when I eat pizza I have major pain in my stomach then I have diarrhea is this normal?
Yes: I think it is a horrible diet. A breakfast of sugared coffee only is not a good idea. Best to adopt a lifestyle of sensible eating. I would put this diet in the same category as the "hot chick" diet: pepsi and cigarette for each meal. Avoid it. It is not what or how you eat once in a while that affects things, rather how you eat usually. Read more