Doctor insights on:
Cystic Fibrosis Pregnancy
When your due date arrives, you will be more than ready to have your baby! Most women deliver the baby somewhere between 37 and 42 weeks. According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, only 5% of babies arrive on the exact due date. Approximately 7% of babies are not delivered by 42 weeks, and when that happens, it is referred to ...Read more
Talk to your doctor: Talk to your CF doctor and your high-risk obstetrics doctor. Making your nutrition the best and controlling lung infections are crucial and adjusting your medications for best safety while pregnant are important. If you are generally in good health and take good care of yourself, pregnancy can go very well. ...Read more
Separate study: If you are having the one study done it is simple enough to arrange for the other study at the same time. They are separate tests and often done at a separate lab. ...Read more
Depends on genes: The risk of acquiring cystic fibrosis (CF) depends on whether the parents of a child are carriers for the gene. It is estimated that about 1 in 20 americans are carriers of the CF gene. In order for a child to acquire the disease, both parents must be carriers. If both parents are carriers, there is then a 25% chance that the child will acquire the disease. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Cough, poor growth: Common symptoms of cystic fibrosis include cough, wheeze, recurrent lung infections, poor growth, foul smelling stools, salty sweat, clubbing, and rectal prolapse. The more symptoms the greater the chance of having cystic fibrosis. Most infants today are diagnosed by newborn screening for CF before they develop any symptoms and early therapy can minimize disease symptoms. ...Read more
Recessive gene: A mutation is carried in the dna of both unaffected parents & that matching or similar mutation is paired up at conception when the sperm & egg form completed chromasomes with the defective info. Late in pregnancy and after delivery, the effect of the CF gene abnormality begins to reveal itself. In carriers, the good gene compensates for the bad & no problems occur. ...Read more
Recessive genes: A mutation is carried in the dna of both unaffected parents ; that matching or similar mutation is paired up at conception when the sperm ; egg form completed chromasomes with the defective info. Late in pregnancy and after delivery, the effect of the CF gene abnormality begins to reveal itself. In carriers, the good gene compensates for the bad ; no problems occur. ...Read more
Progressive disease: Cystic fibrosis (CF) is a progressive, lifelong condition in which the glands that produce mucus, sweat, and intestinal secretions do not function properly. Thick mucus accumulates in the lungs, leading to breathing difficulty and infection. CF also impairs digestion, and affected males are usually infertile. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Cystic fibrosis (CF): An inherited condition that affects the cells that produce mucus, sweat and digestive juices. These secreted fluids are normally thin & slippery. But in cf, a defective gene causes the secretions to become thick and sticky. Instead of acting as a lubricant, the secretions plug up tubes, especially in the lungs and pancreas. Treatments are aimed at preventing lung infections & improving nutrition. ...Read more
Organ Donation: Organ donation is possible and should be discussed with Lifelink. Many people do not realize that other useful tissues like heart valves, tendons, corneas are part of the donation process as well and can help recipients. In CF lungs heart, pancreas and liver are likely not able to be shared. See Lifelink http://www.lifelinkfound.org/index.cfm ...Read more
Recessive: Cystic fibrosis (CF) requires both copies of the gene to carry a mutation (one copy each from mother and father). The way a person usually gets CF is if both of their parents are unaffected carriers (one mutated copy and one normal copy). In this situation, there is a 25% chance that the offspring will get cf, 50% chance of being an unaffected carrier, and a 25% of inheriting two normal copies. ...Read more
As a carrier: Genetic carrier testing: more than 10 million americans are symptomless carriers of the defective CF gene. This blood test can help detect carriers, who could pass CF onto their children. To have cystic fibrosis, a child must inherit one copy of the defective CF gene from each parent. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- Cystic fibrosis testing in pregnancy
- Cystic fibrosis screening during pregnancy
- Cystic fibrosis test during pregnancy
- Cystic fibrosis
- Is cough a symptom of cystic fibrosis?
- Is cyanosis a symptom of cystic fibrosis?
- Is jaundice a symptom of cystic fibrosis?
- Prenatal test for cystic fibrosis
- Cystic fibrosis test in pregnancy