Doctor insights on:
Cystic Fibrosis Cf Pancreatic Diseases
Abdominal organ. It is digestive organ: it secretes enzymes into the small bowel which break down food and help its absorption. It is also an endocrine organ: it produces hormones involved in sugar control and control of digestion. Insulin is one of these hormones. Diabetics either lack Insulin (type 1 diabetes) or have inadequate ...Read more
Thick: The secretions in cystic fibrosis are more viscous (thicker) than normal and interfere with normal drainage resulting in blockages of the bronchial tubes of the lung with resultant pneumonia and lung injury. Similar issues involve the pancreas. Newborns with the disease frequently have difficulty passing their bowel movements. ...Read more
Can u have atypical cystic fibrosis if u have asthma, severe pancreas involvement & CFTR m470v? Report indicates a 2nd gene may be rare or unknown
Maybe: Surprisingly, M470V is a common variation. Studies have shown 50% of the population has this mutation and actually less likely to cause CF. Most individuals with CF and carry M470V have some other hidden etiology that is the cause, rather than M470V. Genetic expression may be variable and so will be the clinical manifestations. Speak with your doc and a geneticist for specific information. ...Read more
My son has hirschsprung disease. My wife tested neg. For cystic fibrosis. Are the two related? Should I be tested for CF? I'm 32 w/no issues.
No, not related: Hirschsprung's disease is a congenital condition that leads to absence or lower numbers of nerve cells in the large intestine that are responsible for allowing the colon muscles to function, leading to constipation or inability to pass stool. Cystic fibrosis is an inherited recessive disorder of salt transport leading to thickened secretions. If your wife is negative, no need for you to be tested ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
My son & wife tested neg for Cystic Fibrosis through screening test, not sweat test. However my son has hirschsprung disease. Should I test for CF - or it's high unlikely I have it? I'm 32. Feel fine
I wouldn't: There is no relationship between Hirschprung disease and CF. If you wand to know if you are an asymptomatic carrier of CF, the tests are available. However, you don't get to age 30 without symptoms when you have the disease and your fertility would also be diminished. If your wife is not a carrier, you can not produce babies with CF. ...Read moreSee 3 more doctor answers
Why cystic fibrosis only affects the caucasian population and how the disease may have originated?
Not true: Cystic fibrosis is a metabolic disorder more common in caucasions by present in many populations. The incidence is 1/3500 caucasion, 1/17, 000 african american, 1/80, 000 native american. It arises in mutations in the cftr gene that regulates cellular transport of chloride.There are in excess of 700 known mutations recorded but most common is the delta 508. ...Read more
Lung disease, & yes.: Cystic fibrosis is a genetic disease that causes thick secretions in the lungs and many other organs in the body. It is most often diagnosed in childhood. Children with this disease often have recurrent lung infections, as well as complications such as diabetes, intestinal obstruction, and liver disease. It is not curable, but the latest treatments allow patients to live into their forties. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
CF gene mutations: There are currently more than 1900 mutations that are known to cause cf. About 70% of CF pts in us have deltaf508 mutation, as 1 in every 25 persons is a carrier for this mutation. All these mutations result in abnormal activity of a protein called cftr which causes all the CF related problems. Genetic testing can give the specific mutation each pt has. Talk to your local CF center. ...Read more
Yes, they CAN, but: Addison's disease has been associated with other autoimmune glandular disorders, including malabsorption and type I diabetes. But cf, although having pancreatic (including diabetes i) & GI deficiencies (malabsorption), is a chromosomal not autoimmune disorder. Their association would be purely coincidental. See: neufeld, m, et al. Medicine: september 1981 - volume 60 - issue 5 - ppg 355-362. ...Read more
Do both parents have to be cystic fibrosis carriers in order for their child to be born with this disease?
Yes: Both parents have to be carriers and then their child has 25% chance of having the disease, 50% chance of being a carrier and 25% of not even being a carrier. The most common mutation causing cystic fibrosis is? F508. But there are over 1500 mutations identified so far. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Is their there significant risk of cancer or disease with asymptomatic Cystic Fibrosis Carrier? Should one be worried?
No Risks For You: Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic disease causing secretions from mucus & sweat glands to thicken which interferes with function of many organs, mainly lungs, GI tract, & more. It is inherited as autosomal recessive pattern meaning a gene must be inherited from both parents. Having only 1 gene is the carrier state meaning you can pass along the gene but there are no risks related to CF for a carrier. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Art around what age do the obvious symptoms of cystic fibrosis set in? I'm worried of the disease although I played football for 5 years since 7th gra
CF worry: Hi KennethH, typically CF is diagnosed in infants and children. However, about 7% of cases can present in adulthood. These tend to be less of the typical disease and more likely to develop diabetes, GI symptoms, and even infertility. Adults are more likely to have normal pancreatic function, unusual genetic mutations and equivocal sweat chloride tests. If you are worried, talk to your doctor. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor online
- Cystic fibrosis cf physical therapists
- Cystic fibrosis cf occupational therapists
- Cystic fibrosis cf williams syndrome
- Pancreatic enzymes for cystic fibrosis
- Cystic fibrosis breast disease
- Cystic fibrosis genetic disease
- Cystic fibrosis liver disease
- Cystic fibrosis like disease
- Cystic fibrosis cf support groups