Doctor insights on:
Colorless Odorless Tasteless Poison
Food poisoning: Many organisms that create food poisoning do so by producing toxins and may not be present in sufficient numbers to alter the taste or appearance of the food. Some, which create disease by direct multiplication in the gut, also do so in numbers that will make their detection nearly impossible. If allowed to progress in growth, changes will occur that may cause you to avoid eating them. ...Read more
Organophosphate: This causes a build up of acetylcholine due to enzyme inhibition. Symptoms may be mild eg. Gi to severe such as come, respiratory arrest etc... So treatment needs to be done in a hospital. An evlauation needs to be done first. - effects are independent of exposure amount. Atropine and pralidoxime are used for treatment along with supportive care. ...Read more
Variable: Food poisoning may be due to chemicals, biological toxins, and live mico-organisms. The common symptoms are nausea, vomiting diarrhoea but there are many variations. See this site for more info. http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/understanding-food-poisoning-symptoms. ...Read more
Variable: Symptoms from scorpion stings can be quite variable: there can be pain or numbness at the bite site. Heart rate and& respiratory rate may increase along with ^ blood pressure, weakness & twitching of muscles. In the United States the scorpion that is likely to cause the most problems is called the bark scorpion. In some areas of the world scorpion stings may be lethal. ...Read more
No easy answer: Without really knowing what you are looking for and having available expensive testing, you'll probably never be able to tell. I wish it were easier to discover this but it's actually very difficult. ...Read more
Who?: Unfortunately you don't know what might be in it unless it was medical mj. Some are so potent that can be like an hallucinogen. Its rare to have long term adverse effects but some people have triggered panic and depression. If you still have symptoms after 1-2 wks see a psychiatrist to evaluate. ...Read more
What are the symptoms and complications from having constant chemical poisoning for years all through childhood?
Vague: Please forgive my frankness. We're all around unwholesome stuff, but there's a cult diagnosis of "chemical poisoning"; people have a variety of nonspecific symptoms and do not look for other explanations. -- which does these unfortunates a disservice. Usually another cause can be found, anything from porphyria to fibromyalgia to endocrine disease to the emotional sequelae of child abuse. Be wise. ...Read more
Thanks Dr each man's but what if the entire organ doesn't die it's just slowly necrosing can this too be poisoned?
The whole organ: generally doesn't--even in fatal gangrene, the whole limb doesn't fall off. In fatal appendicitis it is a very small part of the overall bowel that dies off (and releases bowel contents, also bad). Pancreatitis is fatal due to the inflammatory process even if the pancreas is not quite all gone. etc ...Read more
What's the possibly of getting chemical poisoning from touching a dry apron a chemical splashed on and then eating?
Depends: that depends on the chemical. Read the product label to see what you should do in case of exposure, or call poison control 1-800-222-1222 ...Read more
Have no idea since: you haven't described any symptoms, or why you think you were drugged or poisoned. If you are concerned enough to write HealthTap, I would recommend calling your doctor or going to an urgent care setting, Nicotine poisoning has increased since the availability of e-cigs with nicotine liquid in them, and it can be absorbed through skin and be quite dangerous, esp to children. ...Read more
Yes it is: If food is contaminated by salmonella, anyone who eats that food can become ill. Also it can be transmitted person-to-person by the fecal-oral route. Strict hand-washing is needed. Also keeping raw meat, etc separate from other foods is wise -- as is having separate cutting boards, etc. http://tinyurl.com/k8894u5. ...Read more
Many possibilities. : Lead was used as an additive to paints used in home building years ago & the inhalation of paint dust during renovations, or kids chewing on cribs painted with lead paint provided some. Exposure to clothes of someone working in around lead (battery reclamation) or that from lead paint on decorative dishes were also common. Removal of lead from many of these products has reduced public risk. ...Read more
Lead in environment: Sources of lead include old paint (babies chewing on windowsills); soil near a highway; pottery with lead based glaze (usually imported); and some toys have been found to have lead based paint (again- imported. Lead based paint is no longer used in the US. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer