Doctor insights on:
Co Poisoning Testing
Colonoscopy ordered for mom after bout of food poisoning. Testing was neg for infection but trace blood. Feeling ok now. Why not observe or have vc?
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze. . . are all ...Read more
Blood test: See your provider and tell them of your concern. A blood test can usually answer this question. ...Read more
Testing: The normal screening done in this country usually just looks at the hemoglobin level, since it is suppressed by lead poisoning. This is an indirect test and available anywhere they have health care services. A serum lead test is more specific for lead exposure and also readily available through most labs. ...Read more
Well visit: This should be done routinely at their 12m and/or 2 yo visit. ...Read more
CO poisoning: A simple blood test can give you the answer. ...Read more
Confusing question: Screening tests that indirectly assess lead exposure are part of routine health care for infants. Direct testing for lead is required by medicaid in infants and toddlers. When or if parents are actually taking their kids in for these visits varies within various cultural or family situations. Low level exposure seldom produces clinical symptoms, high level exposure will produce symptoms. ...Read more
Took cipro (ciprofloxacin) for food poisoning, got yeast infection treated twice with flucunazole went away, went to dr tested for BV and yeast. Got the meds. Help!!
Is it necessary to get my 1 year to get tested for lead poisioning? Our home was built in 1900 but has been repainted various times recently.
Yes: The aap does recommend lead testing for 1 yr olds- even if the home has been repainted old paint may still chip from the windows and walls. There are also other sources of lead in the environment. Better to have a simple blood test then miss a dangerous poisoning! ...Read more
Goes the other way:
Ventilation prevents build up of carbon monoxide.
http://www. Cdc. Gov/co/faqs. Htm ...Read more
Organophosphate: This causes a build up of acetylcholine due to enzyme inhibition. Symptoms may be mild eg. Gi to severe such as come, respiratory arrest etc... So treatment needs to be done in a hospital. An evlauation needs to be done first. - effects are independent of exposure amount. Atropine and pralidoxime are used for treatment along with supportive care. ...Read more
Food poisoning may be due to chemicals, biological toxins, and live mico-organisms. The common symptoms are nausea, vomiting diarrhoea but there are many variations. See this site for more info.
http://www. Webmd. Com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/understanding-food-poisoning-symptoms. ...Read more
Variable: Symptoms from scorpion stings can be quite variable: there can be pain or numbness at the bite site. Heart rate and& respiratory rate may increase along with ^ blood pressure, weakness & twitching of muscles. In the United States the scorpion that is likely to cause the most problems is called the bark scorpion. In some areas of the world scorpion stings may be lethal. ...Read more
Question unclear: Sorry, this question makes no sense. You would need to let us know what the tablet was. Poison comes in all shapes and sizes. ...Read more
What are the symptoms and complications from having constant chemical poisoning for years all through childhood?
Vague: Please forgive my frankness. We're all around unwholesome stuff, but there's a cult diagnosis of "chemical poisoning"; people have a variety of nonspecific symptoms and do not look for other explanations. -- which does these unfortunates a disservice. Usually another cause can be found, anything from porphyria to fibromyalgia to endocrine disease to the emotional sequelae of child abuse. Be wise. ...Read more
What's the possibly of getting chemical poisoning from touching a dry apron a chemical splashed on and then eating?
Depends: That depends on the chemical. Read the product label to see what you should do in case of exposure, or call poison control 1-800-222-1222 ...Read more
Toxicologists: Physicians with specialty training in dealing with poisonings are toxicologists. However many physicians, internists, ER docs, pediatricians, family practice, are quite comfortable dealing with many of these issues also. ...Read more
Awful!: ~ 20 minutes after a toxic dose, the body's muscles begin to twitch and spasm, leading to nearly continuous convulsions and then increased body temperature and muscle breakdown. People die after 2-3 hours from eventual paralysis of breathing or exhaustion from continuous convulsions. ...Read more
Car started in garage with garage door only open a couple feet. Was on for 5 or so minutes before driven. 2 hours later feel ok. Risk or co poisoning?
Unlikely: Usually need more exposure to do sig harm....if you remain fine as you are now, I wouldn't be that concerned, but if you start to fel worse, then see your doc for evaluation. ...Read more
ER: Usually, an er doctor will be the first to evaluate and initiate treatment. Then, depending on the substance overdosed and the treatment necessary, the patient will then be admitted, if needed, to the appropriate doctor to provide the care necessary. ...Read more
Many possibilities.: Lead was used as an additive to paints used in home building years ago & the inhalation of paint dust during renovations, or kids chewing on cribs painted with lead paint provided some. Exposure to clothes of someone working in around lead (battery reclamation) or that from lead paint on decorative dishes were also common. Removal of lead from many of these products has reduced public risk. ...Read more
Lead in environment: Sources of lead include old paint (babies chewing on windowsills); soil near a highway; pottery with lead based glaze (usually imported); and some toys have been found to have lead based paint (again- imported. Lead based paint is no longer used in the US. ...Read more
Not a matter for:
Self treatment. Lead poisoning may require chelation therapy, please consult your doctor. For more information on prevention, symptoms etc see this site.
http://www. Nlm. Nih. Gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002473.htm. ...Read more