Doctor insights on:
Clif Bar Sugar
I had dinner and pipse and chocolate bar at 7:30 pm then some berry juse at 9:30 pm, at 11:15pm I toke a sugar test and it was 98? Is this normal?
Varies: Depends on the sugar content. 1 large apple wil have about 45 gm of carbonhydrate. As for the candy bar you have to read the amt of carb the makers claim
About how long will the sugar from a chocolate candy bar remain in the body (standard blood test coming up)?
Depends: It depends on whether you are diabetic or pre-diabetic or not.
I have an addiction to sugar. I have no control. Sneaking hiding. Eating sugar by spoonfulls. Candy bars 3 at a time. Fast so not caught. Help. :- (?
Metformin: Your problem is physiological, not psychological. Carbohydrate cravings accompany Insulin resistance. When your 60 trillion cells are screaming for brownies, it's impossible to resist. Solution is to restore Insulin receptor sensitivity. Metformin will do this, in a dose of 1, 000-2, 000 mg per day. My patients on metformin invariably feel better, have more energy, and lose their carb cravings.See 2 more doctor answers
Blood sugar 160 after 1.5 hrs of tennis. Consumed 1 Nutragrain bar near end of tennis match. Small meal before match. 160 too high given this info?
Different test: To diagnose someone with diabetes you need a more controlled test like a fasting blood sugar or hemoglobin a1c. A random glucose measurement after eating and exercise has too many variables to account for and may or may not be normal. If you are worried about being diabetic, talk with your doctor and they can get you the right test to give you a solid answer.
Ate 2 bars of chocolate after the other and muffins and toast earlier but after the chocolate bars I got a small headache and felt slightly dizzy could this be the sugar?
My body well get really weak and shaky and ill sometimes get dizzy. Only sugar, like a candy bar, well help. This happens often. Please help!?
Need evaluation: You need to see a doctor for evaluation! Sounds like you may be having hypoglycemic episodes. You should have your blood sugar levels checked. Are you a diabetic and taking medications? Do you drink much alcohol? If not, you may have liver disease or insulin-producing tumor of the pancreas!See 1 more doctor answer
I wake up at 5am. Jump in the shower get ready for work and hit the door running at 6am or so. 35min drive. By the time I get to work I am starving and irritable. What would be a good choice for a grab and go breakfast? Bars are full of sugar.
Protein: If you are not a big breakfast person and just looking for something to hold you over, protein is a good start as it tends to make you feel more full and for longer compared to other food options. Example could be something like Greek yogurt or bars such as trail mix or other equally high protein, low sugar, alternative.
When I take a bit of sugar, like in a candy bar, pudding, soda, etc. I get symptoms of restlessness, shakiness and fatigue. Is this metabolic syndrome?
PostPrandialSyndrome: Agree with the other docs about criteria for metabolic syndrome. The symptoms you describe sound as if your body does not react well to a diet with a lot of sugar in it. Unfortunately, most people with this problem respond to these symptoms by eating more sugar, thus setting up the next episode. Try reducing sugar intake, and be sure to eat plenty of high-fiber foods and proteins to prevent spells.See 4 more doctor answers
Diet properly: Educating yourself to the proper diet and exercise regimen is the best way to control your blood sugar (diabetes). Carbohydrates and concentrated sweets should be avoided if diabetic. Getting to know your body, the signs and symptoms of high and low sugars, and being compliant with your docotrs advice/rx's/testing and visits will help you stay well. God bless.
Try low glycemic: As a rule you want to eat many fruits and vegetables a day, with natural sugars. What you want to avoid is processed sugars in soda, candy, and many snack foods in boxes. Avoid Corn Syrup. I like the 90/10 rule that nutritionists use, goal 90% of diet healthy, and live a little, don't worry about the other 10%.See 1 more doctor answer
Insulin: High simple sugars in the diet raises your insulin abruptly which causes the deposition of the sugar as fat, in the liver, in the muscles and in areas such as the stomach, thighs. To avoid this, a diet high in fiber and low in processed foods and simple sugars is best. Best of health to you.
Nobody does!: "Sugar high" is an urban myth and I don't get them either. Nobody does, really. Research definitely shows that eating sugar, the amount of sugar in the blood, and rapidly rising sugar levels have no effect on mental status, activity level, or feeling high. Any such effects are psychological, or by moms who believe that's the cause of their kids acting hyper from time to time. So you're normal.