Doctor insights on:
Ciguatera Fish Poisoning
No: There have been numerous studies in the medical literature trying to establish a relationship between mercury consumed in fish by breast feeding mothers and poor intellectual outcomes in breast-fed children and to date, there is no association. The problem isn't going anywhere however, and future studies may show an association. For now, though, the answer is no. ...Read moreSee 4 more doctor answers
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze . . . are all ...Read more
Depends on person: Mervury poison is dependent on the amount of fish you plus your own ability or inability i excrete it. ...Read more
Many ways: There are many environmental ways to be exposed to mercury and other heavy metals. Thermometers, switches, and some types of light bulbs. When coal is burned, mercury is released into the air. Mercury in the air eventually gets into water or falls to the land where it can be washed into water. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I seem to have food poisoning - ate a warm fish/mayo sandwich yesterday. Cannot keep anything in. Help!
Drink lots of water: A warm fish and mayo sandwich? That was a bad idea :) You very likely do have true food poisoning which most often is from a toxin formed by the bacteria staph aureus, commonly present in warm mayo. This should pass in 24 hours. You can treat the nausea with medication (Rx ondansetron, Rx promethazine, OTC pepto) but it's best to let the diarrhea run it's course. Seek care if no improvement. ...Read more
I ate a tuna fish sandwich for lunch that was ablcoure white. And then ate a bug pice of talepea for dinner could I have gave myself mercury poisoning? What are the symptoms
Mercury poisoning : from what you had today, you will not develop mercury poisoning. But you are right, source for Mercury poisoning is from fish. Still very rare disease. Symptoms for Mercury poisoning are mostly neurological including sensory impairment, confusion, numbness and etc. it can lead to death. But today's consumption will unlikely lead to Mercury poisoning. ...Read more
Mecury in fish: Big eye & ahi tuna should be avoided due to high mercury level. Yellow fin & white albacore tuna intake should be limited. Skipjack & canned chunk light tuna have a lower amount of mercury. ***fish with very high potential mercury levels include: shark, swordfish, marlin, king mackerel, big eye & ahi tuna, orange roughy & tilefish. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Small fish good: As a rule small fish contain less mercury and larger fish contain more. Do not eat shark, king mackerel, tilefish. Eat up to 12 onces (2 average meals) a week of fish or shellfish lower in mercury. Good low mercury fish are: shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, catfish, . Check local advisories (department of fish and wildlife) for mercury load in your area. ...Read more
Blood test: Best way to know is to have your blood tested for mercury. Please discuss your concerns with your doctor. ...Read more
Sushi contamination: People can get food poisoning from any fish that isn't fresh, just like they can get it from any food left out too long. Raw fish can also carry parasites, like raw meat can. That's why we learned to cook foods, one has to presume. Just googling sushi safety brings up salmonella and botulism reports. http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/10/27/2-investigators-is-your-sushi-safe/. ...Read more
No sewage!: When you get food poisoning from raw seafood, it's usually from shellfish, such as oysters, that filter water that may be contaminated with sewage. That's not the case with fish used in sush, which swim around in the sea. However, you can sometimes get parasites, such as tapeworms, from sushi. As far as i'm concerned, it's worth the risk. ...Read more
Mercury: Minamata bay outbreak in japan, also some reports of 20% population in ny city. ...Read more
I got food poisoning from fish a month ago I was sick for a few days then was ok. Now I am nauseated and having digestive problems can it be linked?
Unlikely: But anything is possible. If it continues you might want to consult with a GI doctor and get evaluated thoroughly. There are rare instances in which "food poisoning" may actually have given you a long-standing infection with an unwanted organism, but it is more likely that something new is going on. Hope you are better soon. ...Read more
Anisakiasis: Anisakiasis is the principal "worm" infestation of the stomach, caused by ingesting anisakis larvae in raw or undercooked fish. Within a few hours, there is severe upper abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting (relieved after endoscopic removal of worm). As you know, raw fish (sushi, sashimi) are increasingly popular--choose carefully your source of fish (farm raised, not wild caught) & food preparer. ...Read more
No.: That's extremely unlikely.Get a more detailed answer ›
I think i may have iodine poisioning from consuming too much seafood. What are home remedies to lower the levels? Will water help?
Variable: Symptoms from scorpion stings can be quite variable: there can be pain or numbness at the bite site. Heart rate and& respiratory rate may increase along with ^ blood pressure, weakness & twitching of muscles. In the United States the scorpion that is likely to cause the most problems is called the bark scorpion. In some areas of the world scorpion stings may be lethal. ...Read more