Doctor insights on:
Chlamydia Treatment Amoxicillin
Chlamydia infection is a sexually transmitted infection caused by a bacteria. Genital symptoms include burning on urination, vaginal or penile discharge, pain with sexual intercourse or no symptoms at all. In many patients without symptoms, chlamydial infections can spread upwards into the abdomen and cause serious complications due to scarring. Newborns can acquire chlamydial eye infection from birth ...Read more
No: There are several different chlamydia species. If you are referring to chlamydia trachachomatis , the cause of genital infections and conjunctivitis the treatments are azithromycin, Doxycycline and the quinolones (levofloxacin, ofloxacin). Amoxicillin does not cure chlamydia infections. ...Read more
No: Amoxicillin will not cure chlamydia in anyone. This antibiotic is not active against chlamdia because this organisms does not have a classic bacterial cell wall, the site of action of penicillin and related antibiotics. Chlamydia should be treated with doxycycline, azitromycin, Erythromycin or fluorinated quinolones. ...Read more
Minimal help: The emergence of strains of gonorrhea resistant to the penicillin group of meds in the late 70's make this a poor choice.Amoxicillin may have some effect on the gc and is rarely used for chlamydia. The standard treatment for a dual infection is doxycycline+azithromycin. See www.Cdc.Gov/std/treatment/2010/gonococcal-infections.Htm. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Duration of chlamydia after treatment
- Discharge after chlamydia treatment
- Duration of chlamydia symptoms following treatment
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- How long after treatment does chlamydia go away?
- Can amoxicillin be used to treat chlamydia?
- Will amoxicillin treat chlamydia
- Allergic penicillin antibiotic treatment chlamydia
- Talk to a gynecologist online for free