Doctor insights on:
Children Ear Infections
Is the common cold in children something that should be followed by an ear examination to rule out an ear infection?
There are three different types of ear infections that affect different areas of the ear. Outer ear infection (Otitis externa) affects the ear canal and the outside part of the ear. Middle ear infection (Otitis media) affects the middle ear and leads to fluid accumulation behind the ear drum. Inner ear infection (Otitis interna) is a less common inflammation of the inner ear that causes vertigo, ...Read more
Ear Infection Signs: Ear infection symptoms include pain, hearing loss, and fever. Usually, these symptoms follow an upper respiratory infection, especially the common cold, in young children. Adults experience ear infections infrequently, but often may have ear pain. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Collection of purulent fluid behind tympanic membrane- many times secondary to nasal congestion/ viral uri- that can cause bulging of tympanic membrane, pain, redness or distortion of typical anatomic landmarks of membrane, poor mobility of membrane ultimately, tm can perforate or rupture with subsequent drainage of fluid into the ear canal. May take months for fluid from ...Read more
Infections are invasions of some other organism (fungus, bacteria, parasite) or viruses into places where they do not belong. For instance, we have normal gut bacteria that live within us without causing problems; however, when those penetrate the bowel wall and enter the bloodstream, ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Pierced ear infection in children
- Ear infection complications in children
- Is ear infection contagious in children?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What to do for a ear infection in children?
- Chronic ear infections in children with tubes
- Antibiotic resistant ear infections children
- Gluten allergies ear infections in children
- Talk to a pediatrician online