Doctor insights on:
Child Ate A Sharpie Marker
A kid put a piece of cloth that cleans dry eraser markers in my mouth. Should I be worried of consuming some dry-erase marker chemicals?
Spit out right away: As long as you spit the cloth out right away, there should not be a problem. If the markers are labeled as non- toxic there is no need to worry. ...Read more
My 11 month old son accidently bit into toast that contained honey as an ingredient, what should ido?
What is pica a symptom of in a toddler? Eats mainly own feces, but also:vaseline, flour, ice, hair, dirt, rocks, paper, trash, anything & everything really!
Many causes: You need a very thorough workup for your child because there are many causes for pica. Most common is iron deficiency anemia, but other heavy metal poisonings such as lead, etc can cause symptoms as well. Also, there are a number of behaviorl/psychologic conditions that can cause these symptoms. Set up consultation with you pediatrician, but if they don't help, get your child up to riley in indy! ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
At school a child had a nosebleed.Gave him a tissue, a drop of blood got on hand, 2 " below a small rash.I washed with s/w, hand sanit.Is it HIV risk?
My mom unknowingly used 2 pcs of bread from a loaf that had black mold. Made my daughter a grilled cheese sand(no mold)Daughter ate 1/4 of it. Toxic?
Usually not : Most molds are harmless, but some are dangerous. Some contain mycotoxins. The USDA has a nice chart about how to deal with various foods that are moldy. Check it out for all the details. It breaks down into the two obvious options – http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/molds-on-food-are-they-dangerous_/ ...Read more
I'm baking a cake , I put a microwavable plastic among the cakes , just to seperate it , but it melted , just a bit , can I still eat the cake ?
Don't eat the cake.: Wouldn't eat that cake.Get a more detailed answer ›
Accidentally swallowed a small piece of aluminum foil while eating. I'm a breastfeeding mama. Will this hurt baby?
Foil: Nothing will happen.Get a more detailed answer ›
Not encouraging.: Restaurant inspection practices vary widely from state to state. In new york and in los angeles, restaurants receive letter grades based on inspections. Though health grades are imperfect, assessments show a trend toward cleaner restaurants with fewer incidents of food-borne illness. These grades are specific to food storage and handling and do not include the condition of the bathrooms. ...Read more
Do not worry!: Eating once, do not worry! do no eat again! ...Read more
Yes.: The developing mind is curious about everything exposed to, each one is a new experience to the senses. If something pleasing, the child will repeat it and repeat it and to some level become attached to it. Unfortunately, if the pleasure neurotransmitters of the brain are imprinted with the wrong things (fatty foods, improper physical contact, drugs), this may become a lifetime dependence. ...Read more
Recycling: I'm not sure i would accept the accidental part as many toddlers believe their sense of taste is a way to understand the world. They have no social conscience at that age & may sample poo, dog food, bugs off the floor or poisons. A bit of poo is basicly just debris & germs. If it is their own, no signifant issues are likely. If from a pet, the pets gut germs may include bad ones. Watch for GI probs. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I accidentally ate a piece of aluminum foil. Should I be worried? Possibility of alzheimer or dementia?
No: What you describe is not going affect your risk of developing Alzheimer or any other dementia. For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Drink enough water daily, so that your urine is mostly colorless. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco, alcohol, weed or street drugs in any form. Practice safe sex. ...Read more
My sister ate a old chocolate kiss that look like it had a little white worm. Is it dangerous? Could that affect her in any way?
Wouldn't advise it: BUT if she doesn't have any apparent ill effects, I wouldn't worry. ...Read more