Doctor insights on:
Celiac Disease Panel Blood Test
In Celiac disease the body reacts to gluten (in wheat and gluten like proteins in rye and barley) in the small intestine causing damage. This limits the intestine's ability to absorb some nutrients. Classically people have loose stool, bloating, and abdominal discomfort but more often are just found when screened for other reasons (like symptoms of a nutritional deficiency like ...Read more
Is it possible for a toddlers blood test to be negative for celiac disease but upon endoscopy or colonoscopy be found to indeed have celiac disease?
Possibly: If the correct test was done (measurement of IgA antibody to human recombinant TTG is recommended for initial testing for CD by NASPGHAN) and was negative, AND if a child has chronic diarrhea or failure to thrive OR if they have selective IgA deficiency or a + family hx of CD, a biopsy might be recommended. Consult with a pediatric GI physician if this is the case. Best of luck! ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
My endoscopy biopsy looked exactly like something caused by Celiac disease but my blood test came back negative, what else could it be?
I have not checked for Celiac disease. Should I get a blood test? I have been under a lot of stress lately. I also drink a lot of caffeine.
Maybe: Your question does not provide enough info to confirm or exclude need for a celiac screening. It is a real problem with some subtle symptoms and effects. Screening is simple but confirmation requires an intestinal biopsy.You should have it confirmed before trying a gluten free lifestyle, which has a cult like following. True celiacs have other associated risks that need to be explored. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can celiac disease be diagnosed with a blood test?
- What is the blood test for celiac disease?
- Can celiac disease cause reactive hypoglycemia and low blood pressure?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- White blood cell count and celiac disease
- Celiac disease and low blood pressure and heart palpitations
- Can lyme disease influence c reactive protein blood test?
- Is it okay to drink coffee before a metabolic panel blood test?
- Talk to an allergist online for free