Doctor insights on:
Causes Of Transient Ischemic Attack
Tia (transitory ischemic attack) happens when blood supply to a certain area of the brain gets cut off temporarily. This causes a neurologic deficit - weakness, numbness, visual deficit or difficulty with speech. While TIA usually resolves, it indicates that there is a problem with your heart or blood vessels that can cause ...Read more
Complex issue: Transients events can be due to heart defects, arrhythmia, blood pressure, blood sugar, drug effects, seizure, migraine, or blood vessel disorders. It would be important to have a thorough medical and neurological evaluation. Their may be genetic factors involved, especially defects in cholesterol and lipid metabolism. May be a high risk for completed stroke or even death. ...Read more
It depends: Tia without any underlying comorbid conditions like hypertension, diabetes, coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, drug abuse, sickle cell disease, lupus etc, may have good prognosis, provided enough care is taken, such as taking aspirin. If there are underlying conditions, they have to be well controlled for a better prognosis. To calculate the risk there is abcd2 score. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Can be subtle: It's best to discuss your exact symptoms in person with your doctor. Tias are focal neurologic deficits that last <24 hours. Typical examples are a visual field cut (like "a curtain cutting across your vision"), inabilty to talk or understand words, weakness in the hand, arm, foot, or leg - but a TIA can be subtle and hard to recognize too. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can transient ischemic attack tia cause seizures?
- Pathophysiology of transient ischemic attack
- What are the complications of transient ischemic attack?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Transient ischemic attack
- Can 50 percent blockage of artery cause heart attack?
- Transient ischemic attack lasting effects
- Causes of vasovagal attack
- Talk to a neurologist online