Doctor insights on:
Causes Of Low White Blood Cell Counts
When both RBC and: Wbcs are affected several topics come to mind. The marrow may be stressed in response to infection, or due to a medication. This would also be a common pattern in bone marrow production problems such as the myelodysplastic syndromes. Patients with acute leukemia can also present in this fashion. ...Read more
Many: Primary or secondary blood disorder, infection, immunologic diseases, medication, and many other possibilities. Most causes would be treatable. If this has been confirmed then consultation with a hematologist would be appropriate. ...Read more
Often a virus!: While blood cell count can be low with viral infections. Important to make sure that the red blood cell count and hemoglobin are normal and that the while blood cells are normal in appearance. If wbc, rbc and platelets are low, intervention by hematologist is necessary and may require bone marrow. Low WBC should be followed and return to normal when over the viral infection! ...Read more
Leukopenia: Recent infection such as flu, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, aplastic anemia, hiv, lupus, hodgkin's lymphoma, cancer, typhoid, malaria, tb, sepsis, folate deficiency, copper & zinc deficiency, medications such as wellbutrin, (bupropion) depakote, lamictal, clozapine, minocycline, flagyl, interferone, arsenic toxicity. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- What are the effects of low white blood cell counts?
- What do low white blood cell counts mean?
- Effects of low white blood cell counts in kidney transplants
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the causes of low white blood cells?
- What cause low white blood cells?
- What causes red and white blood cells to be low?
- Does leukemia cause low white blood cells?
- Talk to a pathologist online for free