Doctor insights on:
Causes Of Low Potassium Levels
Need a workup: Reference ranges are set so that a few percent of healthies fall outside on either end. If very low, it's time you get checked for a reason -- hyperaldosteronism gets missed a lot. I'm assuming you're not on meds. One little-known cause is eating lots of licorice. Best wishes. ...Read more
Balance , vital: Low potassium can cause fatal abnormalities in heart rhythm resulting in cardiac arrest. It can cause severe muscle weakness, abnormalities in kidney function, slowing of bowel movement etc. Symptoms of low potassium depends of the level, rate of reduction and duration. Low levels could be due to increased loss in the urine or diarrhea. Rarely due to low intake or shifts in blood. ...Read more
Normal Living: Nope. Not if you are healthy.Get a more detailed answer ›
Few mechanisms: 1. Low intake in food 2. Loss in secretions- urine, gastrointestinal-vomitus and stool, sweat 3.Increased traslocation of k in to the cells in certain conditions eg. Insulin excess, mineralocorticoid( aldosterone - a hormone secreted by adrenal gld.) excess are associated with low potassium.There is a genetically acquired condition called periodic hypokalemic syndrome characterized by low k level. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
I have heard that drinking apple cider vineger (with water)for long time would cause liver damage and low potassium levels is that true?
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Causes of low sodium and potassium levels
- What are the causes of low potassium levels in pregnancy?
- The causes of low potassium magnesium sulfate levels
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Causes of low potassium levels in the body
- Can low levels of iron cause body aches?
- Are hot flashes a sign of low potassium level?
- Causes of low hcg levels in early pregnancy
- Talk to a pharmacologist online for free