Doctor insights on:
Causes Of Elevated Liver Enzymes In Humans
This organ plays a major role in metabolism and has a number of functions in the body, including glycogen storage, decomposition of red blood cells, plasma protein synthesis, hormone production, and detoxification. It lies below the diaphragm in the abdominal-pelvic region of the abdomen. It produces bile, an alkaline compound which aids in digestion via the emulsification of ...Read more
Need more info: What are the actual results? How long have the levels been elevated? Do you drink alcohol, if yes, how much? What medications are you taking, including herbals and over the counter drugs? It would be prudent to discuss all this with the doctor who ordered the tests as all lab results need to be interpreted in the clinical context. ...Read more
Liver clears out: The liver does things such as clean your blood by removing toxins like medicines and alcohol. It contains thousands of enzymes which are special types of protein cells that help necessary chemical reactions to take place. Some medicines may be too much for the liver to handle and the result is that the enzymes are elevated and this is a sign that the liver needs help. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Medicines: If you are definitely healthy and have been told this by a physician, medicines you are taking could be the answer. Another possibility is starvation, which seems unlikely. You need to make sure that physician agrees with you that you are otherwise healthy. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Are there benign causes of elevated liver enzymes in teenagers?
- Causes of elevated liver enzymes in children
- What are the causes of elevated liver enzymes in anorexia?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What are the causes of elevated liver enzymes in teenagers?
- Most common causes of blood in urine elevated liver enzymes
- Symptoms of elevated liver enzymes in humans
- Causes of elevated liver enzymes in the blood
- Talk to a hepatologist online for free