Doctor insights on:
Causes Of Distended Gallbladder
Distention: A distended gallbladder without gallstones could be a normal variant or could be due to an obstruction in the biliary tract distally, however that would also cause other related symptoms. ...Read more
Could you please help me find an answer! what would cause a distended gallbladder without gallstones?
Could be normal: Fasting can cause the gallbladder to be distended when examined by ultrasound. A stone too small to see at the gallbladder neck can do this as well as a stone in the common bile duct. Narrowing of the bile duct where it empties into the duodenum by stricture or tumor can do this as well as pancreatic cancer. ...Read more
Depends: Your gallbladder will be distended when you are not eating. It fills with bile and then, when you eat, it empties. This is not a problem. It is normal physiology. The problem happens when your gb is obstructed by a stone or inflammation and cannot empty. This can lead to infection and severe pain, fevers, etc. If you have no stones on ultrasound you may need a hida to see how ur gb empties. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Depends: Gallbladder disease is a spectrum from acute inflammation and infection to chronic, recurrent inflammation. If the gallbladder "out-track" or cystic duct is completely blocked and is not relieved it can turn into an infection in less than 24 hours. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Don't know: It fills and empties as part of its work. If diseased and scarred to a nubbin that could be called collapsed. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Distended gallbladder causes
- Causes of distended abdomen in children
- Causes of loose stool and distended stomachs in children
- Causes of distended bladder
- What are the causes of diarrhea distended stomach?
- Causes of gallbladder wall thickening
- Causes of gallbladder sludge
- What causes thickening of the gallbladder wall?
- Talk to a hepatologist online for free