Doctor insights on:
Causes Cleft Lips Palates
What is the cause of unilateral cleft lip, submucus palate, tongue tie and bifid uvula in a female baby with first degree relatives parents?
Unknown: All 4 conditions can occur individually or in various combinations. Causes for congenital deformities (birth defects) can include environmental factors (maternal nutritional deficiencies), inherited factors as well as spontaneous mutations. Although incest is not common or considered advisable for humans, I am not aware of a specific correlation with orofacial deformities. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Does cleft lip and palate surgery leave behind a lot of scarring? My son will have his first cleft lip and palate surgery next month, and i'm concerned about scarring. Do the reconstruction surgeries normally cause a lot of scarring? Is scar removal a com
It depends on a lot.: Cleft lip and palate can be as high as 50% (one in two children) for people with certain genetic make up, or much lower. Caucasians have about a 1 in 1000 risk of cleft lip and or palate, Africans about 1 in 1200, some Asians as high as 1 in 300. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Does family history of cleft lip or cleft palate cause cleft lip and palate?
- Does a cleft lip or cleft palate cause problems for a child?
- Cleft lip and palate repair
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Baby cleft lip or palate williams syndrome
- Baby cleft lip or palate birth defects
- Chromosomal abnormalities cleft lip palate
- Cleft lip and palate previous child with cleft lip or cleft palate
- Talk to a dentist online for free