Doctor insights on:
Causes Cleft Lips Palates
What is the cause of unilateral cleft lip, submucus palate, tongue tie and bifid uvula in a female baby with first degree relatives parents?
Unknown: All 4 conditions can occur individually or in various combinations. Causes for congenital deformities (birth defects) can include environmental factors (maternal nutritional deficiencies), inherited factors as well as spontaneous mutations. Although incest is not common or considered advisable for humans, I am not aware of a specific correlation with orofacial deformities. ...Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
Does cleft lip and palate surgery leave behind a lot of scarring? My son will have his first cleft lip and palate surgery next month, and i'm concerned about scarring. Do the reconstruction surgeries normally cause a lot of scarring? Is scar removal a com
Yes: Cleft lip and palate is often hereditary, but can also appear for the first time in a family. About 40% of the time the cause of the cleft can be figured out. The rest of the time we don't know the cause. Hereditary clefting can occur frequently or infrequently in offspring. A genetics counselor with a cleft team can help you figure this out. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Does a cleft lip or cleft palate cause problems for a child?
- Does family history of cleft lip or cleft palate cause cleft lip and palate?
- Cleft lip and cleft palate repair
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Cleft lip and palate surgery
- Baby cleft lip or palate
- Cleft lip and palate repair
- Cleft palate and cleft lip difference
- Talk to a dentist online for free