Top
10
Doctor insights on: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Share
Dr. Rashed Hasan
112 doctors shared insights

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning (Overview)

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a condition in which a person has breathed in too much carbon monoxide, an odorless gas that comes from burning fossil fuels such as wood, propane, gas, oil, etc


1

1
Describe the features of carbon monoxide poisoning.?

Describe the features of carbon monoxide poisoning.?

Many: Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause headaches, blurry vision, fatigue and lightheadedness, and progress to alteration of conciousness rather quickly. You should have a carbon monoxide detector (with charged batteries!) in your house to determine if there are unsafe levels in your home. Please go to the er immediately if you suspect poisoning; they will check your blood and get treatment started. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
Dr. Rashed Hasan
112 doctors shared insights

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning (Overview)

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a condition in which a person has breathed in too much carbon monoxide, an odorless gas that comes from burning fossil fuels such as wood, propane, gas, oil, etc


2

2
How exactly does carbon monoxide poisoning work?

How exactly  does carbon monoxide poisoning work?

"Fake" oygen: Hemoglobin is a molecule that allows blood to efficiently transport oxygen. Carbon monoxide causes its toxic affects by binding to hemoglobin and not letting go, preventing oxygen transport and causing suffocation despite adequate environmental oxygen supply. ...Read more

3

3
Treating Accidental Poisoning (Tip)

Treating Accidental Poisoning

Do keep the poison control center telephone number in an easy-to-find location for emergencies. ...See more

4

4
Treating Accidental Poisoning (Checklist)

Call 911 and poison control immediately
Once
Protect yourself from exposure if necessary
Once
Gather any evidence possible about poisoning or exposure
Once
Remember what and how much substance the person ingested or inhaled
Once
5

5
What are the real symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Anoxia: Carbon monoxide if inhaled, fits into the oxygen carrying site on hemoglobin even better than oxygen. This means your body will be deprived of this critical element. It is as if a tourniquet were applied around your neck. You will appear bright red but since the redness is from the wrong chemical, your cells will die due to oxygen lack. This is an extreme emergency. ...Read more

See 2 more doctor answers
6

6
What are the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning ? I have frequent headaches and tire easily sometimes. Can my car leak carbon monoxide fumes inside?

Yes, risk is present: You may experience headaches only while in your car, your fingertips may turn cherry red, you might be spacey, light-headed, dizzy, nauseated, and if so, could be carbon monoxide exposure. So, if you have an older car, and visible exhaust with a lot of wear and tear, best to have it checked. Also, at home, always have place carbon monoxide detector, as furnaces have potential for harm. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
7

7
Treating Accidental Poisoning (Tip)

Treating Accidental Poisoning

Do call poison control for specific advice on the poison.Don't make your child vomit unless told to. ...See more

8

8
Treating Food Poisoning (Checklist)

Go to ER/call Poison Control Center for antidote for serious cases
Once
If you're vomiting nonstop, go to the ER
Once
If you have diarrhea, eat something to stop water loss
Once
If you have excess dehydration, go to the ER for IV fluids
Once
9

9
What test can comfirm/rule out carbon monoxide poisoning ?

Carboxyhemaglobin: A simple blood test, carboxyhemaglobin, give a precise measure of how much carbon monoxide is in the blood. ...Read more

10

10
Please help! I have carbon monoxide poisoning?

Call 911 or have : someone take you to a hospital ER ASAP for treatment. ...Read more

See 1 more doctor answer
Dr. Wm. Marcus Spurlock
259 doctors shared insights

Poisoning (Definition)

Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze . . . are all ...Read more