Doctor insights on:
Can You Get Meningitis If Your Eardrum Bursts And Infection Gets Into Your Brain
Infections are invasions of some other organism (fungus, bacteria, parasite) or viruses into places where they do not belong. For instance, we have normal gut bacteria that live within us without causing problems; however, when those penetrate the bowel wall and enter the bloodstream, ...Read more
Will ESR (Sed rate) and CBC show abnormalities with meningitis or other infection causing brain or heart inflammation?
Not reliable: If you're having symptoms of meningitis or heart disease (palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath), the sed rate is utterly worthless as a way of ruling out disease and even a normal CBC proves nothing. I'm a lab physician and want to reassure you -- the key question is not "What's my ESR?" but "How do I FEEL?" ...Read more
Yes but...: Any ear infection can theoretically spread to the brain and result in meningitis or brain abscess and with a worst case scenario result in death. But, this is really unusual. In 20+ years of practice I have seen less than a handful of ear infections that have spread to the brain and none of those patients died. ...Read more
I heard that when you have an ear infection the eardrum can burst. Is it true or common to happen?
Possible: Long before there were antibiotics ear infections commonly resolved with the ear drum bursting and the healing. In acute ear infection, withain and hearing loss, treatment with oral antibiotics, usually clears infection before ear drum would perforate or burst. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
My gf has impacted wax. she also believes that water in her ear will cause the eardrum to burst. she had many ear infections and tubes as a child ?
Common problem: Impacted wax can be dissolved by drops available over the counter at most supermarkets or pharmacies. W hen these are too slow, the wax can be removed under direct vision by an ENT. I have also cleaned this out using a water pic, and this does not "rupture" the drum. She can either get this fixed or deal with the poor hearing.Her choice. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- How can you tell if you have burst your eardrum?
- Can you get hpv from your partner if it has already turned into cervical cancer?
- Can you get pregnant if your on birth control and the condom breaks?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can you start getting cramps and bloating 1 and a half weeks before your period?
- Why is your earlobe swollen red and hot if you have an outer ear infection?
- Can you get a yeast infection in your eye?
- Can you get a yeast infection in your urethra?
- Talk to a neurologist online