Doctor insights on:
Can You Get Measles More Than Once In Your Life
Viruses not same: Influenza and measles are different viruses. Once infected with measles, we produce antibodies that preventing it from infecting cells in the body on repeated exposures. Though a similar response occurs to influenza, over time (ie a year) this virus alters the areas on its surface so that our antibodies we made the year prior, can't stop the "mutated" influenza virus from infecting cells. ...Read more
Immunizations.....: Have dramatically reduced the incidence of many childhood afflictions, some that were life-threatening or associated with significant morbidity. They are among the great success stories of modern medicine. Proof of this is represented by the difficulty young physicians have diagnosing illnesses that were once common. Notably, we are now seeing these illnesses develop in those with waning immunity. ...Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Confusing question: Wild measles is thought to provide lifetime immunity. The vaccine has been available in some form since 1963, but the early dosing schedule did not confer immunity to all. By the 1990's a second dose brought most into full immunity.If you had wild measles you are likely immune. Many viruses produce similar rashes and some labeled measles were likely something else. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Can you get measles more than once?
- Can you get shingles more than once in your life?
- Can you get chicken pox more than once in your life?
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- Can you get the shingles more than once?
- Can you get tb more than once?
- Can you get coxsackie more than once?
- Can you get strep more than once?
- Talk to a dermatologist online