Doctor insights on:
Can You Get Lead Poisoning From A Pencil If Your Child Accidently Pricked Himself
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze. . . are all ...Read more
Unlikely: If she only put it in her mouth briefly and did not eat the pencil lead and has not done this before on several occasions it is unlikely that she will have lead poisoning from this one time. But if you are concerned and unsure about how much past exposure she may have had she can have a blood test for lead level by her doctor. Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Yes: Pencil lead is actually a non toxic material called graphite. Unpainted pencils only a problem if baby bites off chunks and chokes on them. I don't believe that the paint on pencils is a problem if they are made in the us. I have reservations for any painted material coming out of china as they may have toxic material in the paint. Read moreSee 2 more doctor answers
No: Pencil lead is actually a non toxic material called graphite. Read more
No: Pencil "lead" is actually graphite, not really lead, so you will not get lead poisoning. If you have a solid piece in you foot then it should be removed (like a splinter). If you don't actually have a solid piece of graphite under the skin, but the the tiny remnants, then I would treat it the same as any other wound caused by a splinter. Read more
If a child gets lead poisoning, how long does it take for his system to clear after no longer getting exposed?
Months: Once absorbed, 90% is stored in bond as lead phosphate. The other 10% is taken up by the red blood cells, the brain, the kidneys, and the liver, where toxic effects can develop. To excrete lead: 90% put out in stool; 9% in urine; it takes twice as long to excrete lead as to absorb it. The one-half life of lead in body is 2 months. So the level will decrease by 1/2 every 2 months. Read more
Lead and brain.: This is very difficult question.. Lead has no specific brain marker=no specific brain area targeted. Certain forms of learning issues can occur but I believe also need to rule out genetics. In lead encephalopathy=moribund= seizures and retardation can be a possible outcome. Medical record pre diagnosis important to review, . Read more
Many possibilities.: Lead was used as an additive to paints used in home building years ago & the inhalation of paint dust during renovations, or kids chewing on cribs painted with lead paint provided some. Exposure to clothes of someone working in around lead (battery reclamation) or that from lead paint on decorative dishes were also common. Removal of lead from many of these products has reduced public risk. Read more
Lead in environment: Sources of lead include old paint (babies chewing on windowsills); soil near a highway; pottery with lead based glaze (usually imported); and some toys have been found to have lead based paint (again- imported. Lead based paint is no longer used in the US. Read moreSee 1 more doctor answer
Do you know if I could get lead poisoning from herbalife? What are the symptoms and how do I get tested?
Don't worry: Herbalife is a big-big-money multilevel marketing scheme offering products that I think most healthtap physicians wouldn't recommend. From my reading, the allegations of lead in the products were brought by a single career criminal for whatever reason. If you want to be tested for lead poisoning, any physician can do it. Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- Is it safe for my child to chew on pencils lead poisoning risk?
- Can you get food poisoning from milk?
- Can you get potassium poisoning from bananas?
- Can you get food poisoning from shrimp?
- Can you get food poisoning from chili?
- Can you get food poisoning from chips?
- Can you get food poisoning from salmon?
- Can you get food poisoning from couscous?
- Can you get food poisoning from mayonnaise?