Doctor insights on:
Can You Get Lead Poisoning From A Pencil If Your Child Accidently Pricked Himself
Toxic ingestion (also called "poisoning") is a condition in which a person has eaten or drank a substance that causes ill symptoms or damage to his body. Taking an overdose of a medicine, taking any dose of a poison, drinking too much vodka, or accidentally drinking antifreeze. . . are all ...Read more
Unlikely: If she only put it in her mouth briefly and did not eat the pencil lead and has not done this before on several occasions it is unlikely that she will have lead poisoning from this one time. But if you are concerned and unsure about how much past exposure she may have had she can have a blood test for lead level by her doctor. ...Read more
Yes: Pencil lead is actually a non toxic material called graphite. Unpainted pencils only a problem if baby bites off chunks and chokes on them. I don't believe that the paint on pencils is a problem if they are made in the us. I have reservations for any painted material coming out of china as they may have toxic material in the paint. ...Read more
No: Pencil lead is actually a non toxic material called graphite. ...Read more
Graphite: The "lead " in pencils is not lead, the metal. It is graphite. There is nothing toxic about graphite. ...Read more
No: No, mostly because the 'lead' in a pencil is not the metal, but graphite, which may leave a stain but does not poison. ...Read more
No: There is not enough lead in a pencil point to cause poisoning. ...Read more
No: The pencil tip is composed of graphite, a non toxic substance. You might get an infection if you don't care for the wound, but you cannot get lead poisoning. ...Read more
What to do if I got a piece of pencil thing in my eye when my pencil snapped, can I get lead poisoning?
No: Pencil lead is actually a non toxic material called graphite. It has no potential to cause lead poisoning. Your primary risk would be infection from the wound. ...Read more
No: Pencil "lead" is actually graphite, not really lead, so you will not get lead poisoning. If you have a solid piece in you foot then it should be removed (like a splinter). If you don't actually have a solid piece of graphite under the skin, but the the tiny remnants, then I would treat it the same as any other wound caused by a splinter. ...Read more
If a child gets lead poisoning, how long does it take for his system to clear after no longer getting exposed?
Months: Once absorbed, 90% is stored in bond as lead phosphate. The other 10% is taken up by the red blood cells, the brain, the kidneys, and the liver, where toxic effects can develop. To excrete lead: 90% put out in stool; 9% in urine; it takes twice as long to excrete lead as to absorb it. The one-half life of lead in body is 2 months. So the level will decrease by 1/2 every 2 months. ...Read more
Lead and brain.: This is very difficult question.. Lead has no specific brain marker=no specific brain area targeted. Certain forms of learning issues can occur but I believe also need to rule out genetics. In lead encephalopathy=moribund= seizures and retardation can be a possible outcome. Medical record pre diagnosis important to review, . ...Read more
Many possibilities.: Lead was used as an additive to paints used in home building years ago & the inhalation of paint dust during renovations, or kids chewing on cribs painted with lead paint provided some. Exposure to clothes of someone working in around lead (battery reclamation) or that from lead paint on decorative dishes were also common. Removal of lead from many of these products has reduced public risk. ...Read more
Lead in environment: Sources of lead include old paint (babies chewing on windowsills); soil near a highway; pottery with lead based glaze (usually imported); and some toys have been found to have lead based paint (again- imported. Lead based paint is no longer used in the US. ...Read more
Do you know if I could get lead poisoning from herbalife? What are the symptoms and how do I get tested?
Don't worry: Herbalife is a big-big-money multilevel marketing scheme offering products that I think most healthtap physicians wouldn't recommend. From my reading, the allegations of lead in the products were brought by a single career criminal for whatever reason. If you want to be tested for lead poisoning, any physician can do it. ...Read more
From the paint: Lead poisoning comes from mouthing the toys that are painted with lead paint. Be careful with toys made outside the US. In the past, toys from China and other countries, sold here. Have had high lead levels. ...Read more
Lead: Chronic exposure to lead head nails could be a cause for concern. Ask your doctor to do a lead test to find out if you need therapy ...Read more
I live in a 1911 building. The water lines may be lead, no one is sure. If so, could one get lead poisoning from drinking the water.?
Possible: It is a possibility. The lead in old buildings can come from the pipes or paint. Call your local housing authority to find out. ...Read more
The paint in our house is only a few months old, is there a chance we could get lead poisoning from inhaling it?
No: None of the recent house paints have lead in those. ...Read more
House '78 or earlier: Houses built before 1978 may have lead based paint. Other lead sources: candies and some traditional home remedies from mexico and india; hot tap water for cooking; certain containers or cookware; imported toys or products. See lead recalls at http://www. Cdc. Gov/nceh/lead/recalls/default. Htm. ...Read more
Several approaches: First, remove lead from the environment. Second, treatment with iron. Third - oral or intravenous chelation. ...Read more
Lead pipes: In older homes may still exist so yes. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor online
- Lead pencil poisoning
- Can you get food poisoning from chips?
- Can you get food poisoning from couscous?
- Can you get poisoning from propane fumes?
- Food poisoning from bananas
- Can you get food poisoning from drinking a pepsi?
- Can you get food poisoning from a bad bottle of white wine?
- Can you get food poisoning from apple juice?
- Can you get food poisoning from chili?