Doctor insights on:
Can You Eat And Drink After Barium Enema
Barium is a chemical element with symbol ba and atomic number 56. It is the fifth element in group 2, a soft silvery metallic alkaline earth metal. Because of its high chemical reactivity barium is never found in nature as a free element. Its hydroxide was known in pre-modern history as baryta; this substance does not occur as a mineral, but can be prepared ...Read more
Yes, rarely: Rare cases of rectal perforation with the enema tip are known to occur. If there is a weakness of the colon wall from a prior surgical repair there may be leakage of the barium outside of the colon. If we know of such risks we will often start the procedure with water soluble contrast which is less trublesome for leakage but less adequate for imaging. ...Read more
Not usually: There may be some mild discomfort but not real pain with either procedure. ...Read more
very different: During a proctogram, your doctor inserts a tube through the anus into the rectum and looks through the tube. A barium enema is done by inserting a tube in a similar fashion but then filling the colon with barium and watching under x ray to look at the outline of the colon. ...Read more
- Talk to a doctor live online for free
- Barium enema after colonoscopy
- Barium enema after effects
- Eat drink enema
- Ask a doctor a question free online
- What should i expect after the barium enema procedure?
- How long after a barium enema until a bowel movement?
- Are you required to make any special preparations before barium enema?
- Can you drink after donating?
- Talk to a pharmacologist online for free